Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-01-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Re: ART tube pres?

well does anybody have any alternatives? possibly a single channel unit? or a combination preamp, external A/D converter option? Remember I am asking about value for money, not just "what is the best box i can buy". If there is something out there that is a better option for me, i'd love to hear it!
Old 02-01-2005, 07:14 AM

About two months ago I recorded a band and the guitarist had a rack of various processors and preamps. He had just bought a digital MPA and wanted to try it for micing his guitar. We used an AKG 414. In general, it sounded pretty good. It was a bit lacking in high end detail, but so is the Tube MP. However, unlike the Tube MP, the MPA doesn't sound "musical." At least not to my ears.

One of the things I've always liked about the Tube MP is the character of the sound, which is just unbeatable for the money. Yes, it's noisy, but tube noise is spread out across the spectrum, so it sounds fairly quiet. And yes, it seems to have a muffled high end, but unlike many solid state preamps, when you boost those highs with EQ in Pro Tools, they sound astonishingly sweet.

It's weird -- the Tube MP gets trashed here on the DUC quite a bit, yet consistently gets great reviews in the trade press. My opinion is that there are many people here who simply can't evaluate the aesthetic character of the sound. It's a fleeting and personal thing, unlike signal-to-noise ratio and frequency response to which specific numbers can be applied. Frankly, I think it takes experience to be able to identify pleasing sonic character.

Anyway, I did not like the MPA's sonic character nearly as much as the far cheaper Tube MP. Just my .02, but I wanted you to know --from a perspective that is NOT BIASED against ART-- that you might want to check out some alternatives in that price range.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I trust reviewers more than the Bozos on forums like this one.
I hope you are including yourself there in that sweeping generalization of yours, Bozo. ;^)

Go on, squeeze the wheeze. It doesn't hurt me...
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 02-01-2005, 07:52 AM

Best choices on a budget-if you have a DIGI002(r), get a Presonus Digimax LT, If oyu have Mbox, go with the FMR RNP(really nice pre) and patch it analog to the line inputs. If you are on Mbox, the term "flagship" really does not enter into the conversation. You can do very solid recording with it but if you want to cross over to the next level, its going to take a serious investment.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-01-2005, 10:33 AM

thanks dBHEAD, nice to hear something about the actual box that i can go on, not just about other boxes that are better (and way out of my league), not to offend the other comments on this thread, I appreciate all the input.

I don't have an Mbox, i have a 002. I'm thinking about a RNP's because i have an RNC and it sounds very nice, not even considering how much it cost. I think i have finally put to rest the idea of the ART Digital. Too much bad stuff all over the internet, and the people who do like it tend to use words like "decent" and "reasonable", not very flattering.

I think the price and features were just too good to be true so i wanted to believe it was going to sound good... class A denial

I am now thinking of getting an RNP, and another single channel tube pre, and then get an external converter (with months between each purchase to save up )

just wondering if anybody has recommendations for the tube pre and converter... thanks again
Old 02-01-2005, 12:29 PM

-
why not check out dbx's 386?

seems like the obvious choice for 2 channel tube pre with s/pdif outs @ $500, or $400, or whatever it may be...

we use a dbx 586 (2 channel tube with eq (which we never engage))... out-side of the "threshold peak-plus" sounding absolutey miserable, the unit's really solid.

I, too, was thinking about getting something relatively... "practical" for home-studio use... and the 386 always stuck in my head...

slightly off topic:
for 3 more cheap-channels to run into my Mackie1202 desk (for live-sound at dingy bars and open-mics), i was going to buy that ART promix, which sums 3 channels to one, i believe... i would prefer if there were individual outs for EQ use, but alas... it's what, $70 or something? would most likely help me in a big pinch, and it's the size of a DI.

(no need to reply to that, unless someone's REALLY opinionated about it, i guess)

the dbx 386 is my rec' !

jim
=
Old 02-01-2005, 12:59 PM

Absolutely I'm including myself. Huge Bozo here. I've over time learned to take web forums in general with a grain of salt (or several). I'm aware I'm full of S*#t as much as anybody else.

And a couple other Bozo opinions:

I had a 376, which is related to the 386, and it didn't thrill me. Just didn't seem to do much useful to the sound. Kinda furry sounding. Same with the Focusrite Trackmaster I have here now. I would think the RNP is probably the best way to go. I will say this though. Converters worth having (the concensus seems to be) are going to cost alot, at least as much as the whole combo.

One more idea, which I've done a few times. Is there a gear rental place in Vancouver? There's one here in Austin which has some mid line gear that you can rent really cheaply to try for a few days. It's a good way to test stuff out. I would imagine you can find a place that will rent some preamps to play with for a while. Of course, you can do the same thing with buying and returning stuff, but rental is a little safer.

Again just my 2 cents.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:23 PM

Quote:
One more idea, which I've done a few times. Is there a gear rental place in Vancouver?
I will definitely do this next chance i get. There are some rental places, but i'm not sure if they have mid-ranged gear like we are talking about, I have only seen places that rent out the high end gear (which is still a viable option, it just means i am EVEN closer to breaking even when i do sessions... I like to eat and have clothes while i go to school ...) I should really look into this more closely.

thanks
Old 02-01-2005, 04:45 PM

Quote:

why not check out dbx's 386?

wow! i did check out the 386 and i found about 4-5 very positive reviews from well known sources on the net... It seems to be the perfect unit for what i need, plus the Type IV convertors are supposed to be pretty good. I think i just might go pick one up and try it out. Thanks JFrazier!
Old 02-01-2005, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Absolutely I'm including myself. Huge Bozo here. I've over time learned to take web forums in general with a grain of salt (or several). I'm aware I'm full of S*#t as much as anybody else.
We're all Bozos on this bus, I believe... Live it or live with it!

Quote:
Is there a gear rental place in Vancouver? There's one here in Austin which has some mid line gear that you can rent really cheaply to try for a few days. It's a good way to test stuff out.
Ah, yes, Rock N Roll Rentals. Jim has pulled my chestnuts out of the fire more than a few times. Seen their new digs? It's back on the corner where they used to be years ago, in a brand new building.
digi 001, PT LE 5.3