Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2015, 11:06 AM

Default 003 with PT 12?

Quite a discussion on this on Avid's Facebook page, and I don't have a clear answer about it, either. I recall reading on Pro Tools Expert that we can expect our 003 hardware to be at EOS with the introduction of PT 12. Avid's response on FB was pretty much non-committal. "They haven't decided?" OK. Anybody heard any rumors with a sliver of foundation to them?
Old 01-30-2015, 11:49 AM

Default Re: 003 with PT 12?

It may be that it's no longer officially supported. Originally that was supposed to be the case with PT11, but they ended up keeping it as officially supported.

Even if it is not officially supported in PT12, it will still probably work fine for a while, as they are not going to do anything intentionally to break support. It just means they will no longer be testing them.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:50 AM

I thought it was such a gift that 003's were included in PT11
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:26 PM

Time will tell! Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm one of those guys that doesn't HAVE to upgrade every time, and if I have to replace my hardware, I will most likely hold out for awhile. Even though I DO have my eye on that UA Apollo 16.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
It may be that it's no longer officially supported. Originally that was supposed to be the case with PT11, but they ended up keeping it as officially supported.

Even if it is not officially supported in PT12, it will still probably work fine for a while, as they are not going to do anything intentionally to break support. It just means they will no longer be testing them.
That's what folks said about Pro Control and PT11
Old 01-30-2015, 02:44 PM

Haha - 003 family is significantly younger than the Pro Control

I'm not saying they shouldn't do the PC but the 003's are not that old
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:04 PM

The v11 versions (all of them -- including most current which is 11.1.3) of the 003 driver cause a HUGE increase in CPU usage that, for me, makes all of my Macs' fans blow like jet engines.
An enormous kernel task can be seen in OS X's Activity Monitor when using the 003 as the PT 11 (or 10 once using the newest driver) Playback Engine.
So even though it "works" now with the 003 -- and still seems to work with the 002 though unsupported -- it is unusable for me because of the CPU usage and computer fan noise it causes.
I've tested this with multiple machines, multiple versions of OS X, and both the 002 and the 003.
I've asked other people I know to try this as well and have been told they see it too.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:12 PM

And I should have clarified, I'm using 11HD (V 11.1.3 because too many people on here are having too many issues with 11.3 and I'm a big chicken when everything is working) on Win 7 with my 003 console. For now, I like this thing just fine and again will likely pass on PT 12 if my 003 isn't supported. Long-term plan is an Apollo and a Slate Raven MTi.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:59 PM

But, if you think about it...

There was some cost involved in writing the drivers to allow the 003 to be used in PT 11. But the 003 made the jump over the 32-bit to 64 bit divide, there shouldn't be any more costs involved.

Avid doesn't really have a replacement product for either the rack or the console 003, so they wouldn't be losing any hardware sales.

While I don't think Avid particularly cares about retaining or building the low-end market, as I've frequently said, Avid is not going to tell those users to just "go away".

Avid doesn't have a history of deliberately "breaking" things.

Because of this, I think the 003s will be around until Avid does something definitive about their low-end customers.

Oh, and one thing I don't think a lot of folks understand...

Right now, Avid is extremely focused on their high-end customers and getting their accounting issues dealt with. And Avid has been forced to deal with both of those issues in a rapid fashion.

And in a company the size of Avid, as long as their low-end segment is not costing them anything, (and may even be bringing in a few extra bucks), Avid will just let them "keep on keeping on" instead of worrying about a final resolution right now. So, you can't really read too much into Avid's activities in that market segment right now.

New products that have been in the pipeline for a while, such as their joint-venture gear from Apogee, will continue to be released. Guys will still be at the trade shows talking up low-end products and services. Things will seem like they're running along normally.

But, eventually things will get straightened out at the top, and the big dogs will be able to turn their attention to the low end. And that might not be too good for either their low-end customers, or for folks in that part of the company who deal with the low-end market.

And, as usual, it's all just my own opinion and analysis...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-31-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
There was some cost involved in writing the drivers to allow the 003 to be used in PT 11. But the 003 made the jump over the 32-bit to 64 bit divide, there shouldn't be any more costs involved.
Only the cost of keeping it in the testing grid. You know, all Avid supported hardware are tested in-house before the support is announced for qualified systems.