Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 11-08-2010, 11:28 AM

Thumbs down 11 rack, Wah on/off midi control?

I have an 11 rack, and I recently grabbed a Roland FC300 to use live. I set up most of my effects how I want them, but the Wah is the only thing I couldn't get right.
The Roland midi controller has 2 expression pedals, and they both have an on/off switch if you push down on the pedal. However, if I set the Wah on/off CC# to be the pedal, the actual pedal won't affect the wah sound, it will only turn it on or off. So I have one of my 2 normal buttons being used to turn on the wah, and the expression pedal set to adjust the wah.
This is a waste of one of my buttons, as I'd rather have it set to turn fx 2 on/off as I have the other front button set to fx 1 on/off. I know I can go into a different mode on the fc300 where I have 10 buttons to use as well, but already this has screwed me up live trying to scroll through the 4 different modes when I need to a. turn on/off an effect b. get back to the normal mode and switch the channels.
Is there any thing I can do to get the wah turning on/off with the pedal and control the actual wah with the pedal? This is a seriously flawed design here...
Old 11-08-2010, 12:17 PM

Default Re: 11 rack, Wah on/off midi control?

Sorry, not a design flaw...

There are two CCs used for the wah. One (CC#4) for the pedal, the other (CC#43) for the button. See Chapter 11 of your Eleven Rack manual.

The FC300 also has separate CCs for the pedal and the toe switch. They're labelled EXP PEDAL and EXP PEDAL SW in the FC300 manual.

Set the EXP PEDAL SW to CC#43 and LATCH mode; set the corresponding EXP PEDAL to CC#4. Your expression pedal will then behave just like a real wah pedal - you'll push on the toe-down position to toggle the wah on an off.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:56 PM

Yeah, what TieDyedDevil said, FC300 works great for me. -cp
Old 11-08-2010, 03:23 PM

Yep Yep Yep... nice description on how to set it up... Been using the FC300 wah for about a year...
Old 06-01-2011, 06:58 AM

I recently bought the Eleven Rack and have been trying to get the Behringer FCB1010 floorboard to work with it - specifically, to control the wah and volume. I have found that the FCB1010 will not go to "0" in either mode, which is unacceptable to me. I'm sure that it's a problem with the FCB1010, and not the Eleven. I have also tried using the Moog EP2 expression pedal, and that doesn't work well enough.

Someone may be giving me a Line 6 Pod XT Pro and the FBV Longboard. Can this be used to control wah and volume of the Eleven? The FBV board alone would have been tried, except that it uses a Cat 5 cable.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:18 PM

This kind of bothers me. I just ordered one of these and it seems odd that there wouldn't be a method to have it auto-engage as the pedal travels, i.e., off at 0-5 and on from 6- 127 or something.

Seems like a waste to have to dedicate a button to turn it on and off, not to mention cumbersome.

@Johnster, try running the calibration procedure for the FCB1010. I've had one for years now and it will do 0-127 without a problem. They do need to be re-calibrated from time to time.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Dude View Post
This kind of bothers me. I just ordered one of these and it seems odd that there wouldn't be a method to have it auto-engage as the pedal travels, i.e., off at 0-5 and on from 6- 127 or something.

Seems like a waste to have to dedicate a button to turn it on and off, not to mention cumbersome.

@Johnster, try running the calibration procedure for the FCB1010. I've had one for years now and it will do 0-127 without a problem. They do need to be re-calibrated from time to time.
Wah auto-engage has already been suggested at ideascale.com, and since it doesn't seem like a complicated feature to implement I guess there's a chance it will be available in the next update. You can vote for it here:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...age/25714-3779
Old 06-02-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
Wah auto-engage has already been suggested at ideascale.com, and since it doesn't seem like a complicated feature to implement I guess there's a chance it will be available in the next update. You can vote for it here:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...age/25714-3779
WOW freaky ... I was just talking about this one elevenrackpresets.com ... This would be an awesome feature according to me !!!
Awesome: Eleven Rack (with EXRP)+ M-Audio Bx8a's
Old 06-03-2011, 06:27 AM

The FCB still has the same problem after recalibrating, and I'm abandoning it. Fortunately, my old Line 6 is working with it, after many hours of trying different things. It seems odd that there isn't a floorboard made specifically for the Eleven.

Getting the floorboard to work has added many hours to the process of getting my Eleven to be "stage-ready", and I'm only using it for the functions of volume and wah (I don't use any of the switches, because all of my program changes are done by midi commands from a sequencer).
Old 06-03-2011, 06:30 AM

I posted this on elevenrackpresets.com

but if you had 10 min and basic drilling and soldering skills you could easily take a momentary push button and install it under your wah pedal on any multi-fx foot controller (i use the fcb1010 with an 11PROM) and disconnect the wires from the current button used to turn the wah on and off and solder those wires to the new installed button under the tow of the wah, this would give you that "dunlop" style on/off button for your wah.