Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2021, 07:09 AM

Default Adjusting Volume on a Track in Multiple Spots

I'm a new user to Pro Tools First and I was wondering if there is the ability to adjust the volume on a specific track in different spots. For example, for something I've already recorded, if I want the first minute of the track to be at a high volume and then the next minute to be a few notches lower, is there a way to do that? Or would they need to be on separate tracks to have different volumes?

Thanks in advance!
-Matt
Old 03-14-2021, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Adjusting Volume on a Track in Multiple Spots

Hi, welcome to DUC.

What you are after is a basic capability of any DAW, called volume automation. This lets the DAW automate fader levels. You can easily record automation by moving the GUI faders and/or draw in automation curves with the pencil tool.

Pro Tools First lacks basic documentation but you can look for tutorials on You Tube about volume automation or just automation or see the Pro Tools Reference Guide (PDFs online) for details, much of that will apply to First.

I am not a fan of Pro Tools First, before deciding to take the risk of losing your work to it I would look at the many many issues folks have reported here with flakey cloud storage. There are many other DAW choices, including Pro Tools standard, all with reliable local storage.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:59 PM

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for!

As for the Pro Tools First choice, since this is my first go-round, I wanted to try creating a song to completion with the free version. If things go well, then I may upgrade to the full version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Hi, welcome to DUC.

What you are after is a basic capability of any DAW, called volume automation. This lets the DAW automate fader levels. You can easily record automation by moving the GUI faders and/or draw in automation curves with the pencil tool.

Pro Tools First lacks basic documentation but you can look for tutorials on You Tube about volume automation or just automation or see the Pro Tools Reference Guide (PDFs online) for details, much of that will apply to First.

I am not a fan of Pro Tools First, before deciding to take the risk of losing your work to it I would look at the many many issues folks have reported here with flakey cloud storage. There are many other DAW choices, including Pro Tools standard, all with reliable local storage.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:26 AM

He's always right.
I hate him.

To maybe help you a little in understanding how to automate volume, put the track in "Touch mode", and in the edit window show "Volume" on the track. (It defaults to waveform)
Hit play, grab the fader and automate your parts manually.
Notice the "volume automation line" after turning the track up and down....
You can also go in and draw that line with your mouse.
I find that helps beginners get a grip on basic automation....
I choose touch mode because the fader always snaps back to it's original position when you let go.
"Write mode" can freak you out at first as it stays where you left it last.

Kudos on getting ProTools First to work.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:39 PM

So, I tried using the volume automation that I saw in some YouTube videos, but what I'm seeing in them compared to Pro Tools First isn't exactly the same. When I switch the track view to "Volume". I only have the following options:
-auto off
-auto read
-auto touch
-auto latch
-auto write

When I try playing with the volume on any of these, it just adjusts the whole track. In looking at the YouTube videos the "auto" part is missing when it is selected. Am I possibly missing something here? Or is this a limitation of Pro Tools First?
Old 03-15-2021, 01:05 PM

Hi,
I don't have PT free but it sounds as if it is correct.
Choosing
-Auto Off, automation will not follow anything you have done.
-Auto Read, the default. Will read any automation you have done, but you can't add more without being in another mode or drawing in.
-Auto Touch, fader (or any enabled control) will read automation until you grab the fader with a mouse, then writes automation. when you let go, it jumps back to the line in the timeline.
-Auto Latch, writes automation and keeps it latched where it was when you let go.
-Auto Write, is always writing automation while on.

I would select 'Touch'. It's a little easier to keep track of.

You may have to go to the 'Automation window' in PT and verify that all of the parameters are enabled .

For ease, use your mouse on the fader in the mix window until you get used to it.

If you want to use the edit window, you have to show the i/o section for the track.
(Are able to show inserts, sends, i/o, comments, instruments for tracks in the edit window)

When you show i/o, there is a little number for volume and pan...
If you click on that volume number with your mouse, a little fader appears that you can use to automate volume while in touch mode.

After you get use to that, play around with the editing tools and draw in your own starting with the pencil tool.

Last edited by Bookerv12; 03-15-2021 at 07:58 PM.