Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2011, 07:51 PM

Default Can used PTLE8/003 Factory be crossgraded?

I'm fairly certain the answer is "no", but I figured it's worth asking. I bought a Digi 003 Rack Factory and PTLE 8 software used, complete with all codes, iLok USB Key, etc, but I've never had to authorize it or anything. I assume the original owner still has everything registered to their Avid Audio account and because I purchased it used, I can't transfer ownership or be eligible for a crossgrade. But, is there any way to make it happen since I do have all the information from original packaging, and can get whatever other info is needed form the original owner?

If not, no biggie, because I was previously planning on getting PT9 for myself anyway, and selling the 003 bundle to a friend. I thought I should ask first though since the Avid PT9 crossgrade page says I only need the iLok USB Key and interface serial number.

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Can used PTLE8/003 Factory be crossgraded?

As far as I know, for the PT9 crossgrade, it doesn't matter if transfer of ownership was ever done. As mentioned, all you need is the serial number.

The only issue is whether the previous owner already used the serial number for a crossgrade. If you bought it from them before PT9 came out, then you're probably okay.

There's 2 ways you might want to proceed with this.

One is to call Avid registration support (which is free, other than long distance charges) and double check that all you need is the serial number. They might also be able to check if that serial number has already been used.

The other way is to buy the crossgrade from a dealer like Sweetwater, where you can call an actual salesperson, and see if they can work things out where they can make it so that you're not charged if it doesn't work, or something to that effect.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 PM

Thanks! I will call Avid Support tomorrow and see what they tell me. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that I'm able to crossgrade, that way I can hold onto my 003 interface, although I wouldn't necessarily need it with PT9 (as I plan to run it with an Axe FX II).
Old 06-14-2011, 04:24 AM

I read that I'm going to need an iLok ID. I own the iLok that came with the 003 but never setup an account until now. I got an error saying that this iLok has been registered with another account. So, is there any method of transferring or removing an iLok from an account so that I could register the key to mine? If possible, I still could contact the original owner.

What serial number would I need to crossgrade? The 003 serial, or the one on the back of the iLok USB Key?

Could anybody who's crossgraded to PT9 enlighten me on what information was needed?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:39 AM

The serial number you need is the one from the 003. The "factory" part refers to a group of plugins that are authorized by the ilok you have. You made the same mistake I did with your old iLok so it will be useless for anything else(sadly, my mistake was done with the MPTK). Go buy a new ilok and create an iLok account so you can retrieve the PT9 authorization(do the iLok thing first, before anything else). Once you have an iLok account and an iLok in your name, try contacting the original owner and see if they can log into their account. If they can, you can pay $25 to them and they can transfer the "factory" plugins to your new account(so you put them on your new iLok, along with the PT9 authorization when you buy it). You might need to give the old iLok back so the original owner can plug it into their system for this, but as long as you have the old "factory" iLok, you will have access to those plugs(you can use several iLoks at the same time). Personally, i have the "factory' stuff and could care less if they went away(but as always, YMMV).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-14-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The serial number you need is the one from the 003. The "factory" part refers to a group of plugins that are authorized by the ilok you have. You made the same mistake I did with your old iLok so it will be useless for anything else(sadly, my mistake was done with the MPTK). Go buy a new ilok and create an iLok account so you can retrieve the PT9 authorization(do the iLok thing first, before anything else). Once you have an iLok account and an iLok in your name, try contacting the original owner and see if they can log into their account. If they can, you can pay $25 to them and they can transfer the "factory" plugins to your new account(so you put them on your new iLok, along with the PT9 authorization when you buy it). You might need to give the old iLok back so the original owner can plug it into their system for this, but as long as you have the old "factory" iLok, you will have access to those plugs(you can use several iLoks at the same time). Personally, i have the "factory' stuff and could care less if they went away(but as always, YMMV).
Thanks for clarifying that. Honestly, I don't need the factory plugins. If I purchase an iLok and create an account, can I get the PT9 authorization without having to go through the trouble of transferring the plugins from the original owner?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Avid

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that. Honestly, I don't need the factory plugins. If I purchase an iLok and create an account, can I get the PT9 authorization without having to go through the trouble of transferring the plugins from the original owner?
That's correct. Create an iLok account at ilok.com and, when you purchase the upgrade you'll be asked for the hardware serial number off the 003 (on the back or bottom of the unit) as well as your iLok ID - which is the name you use in the 'username' field on iLok.com, not the serial number on the iLok.