Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-05-2013, 11:24 AM

Default Convert MIDI to Audio Not Working

Hi guys,

I'm trying to convert all my instrument tracks to audio as per this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hbDY0IhkzE and when I record, the red shows up like it's recording, but the soundwave line stays straight so no sound gets recorded.

I have 4 or 5 stereo instrument tracks with different EWQL inserts, and then I have a send for each going through a bus (1-2, 3-4 etc.). Then I have a corresponding stereo audio track for each instrument, of which I set the input to its relative bus. Then I arm the audio tracks for record and hit record and play - and nothing gets recorded. What am I missing here?

Thanks for any help on this!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Convert MIDI to Audio Not Working

Quick thing no offense intended- when a new send us created the default send volume is all the way down. Alt+click it's send fader to bring it up to unity.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:15 PM

Hey man,

That was it. Nice easy fix. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogDog View Post
Hey man,

That was it. Nice easy fix. Thanks!
Nice.

One step further when doing a send like this for bouncing a track I prefer to click the 'PRE' button on the send. This way the fader level of the original track is bypassed.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:40 PM

Using sends like in the video is actually not the most efficient or simplest way to do this.

You can set up the audio tracks the same way, but instead of using a send to a buss, you simply change the output of your instrument track to that buss. So instead of the track's output going to your main monitor (1&2, or whatever), you would change it to output to whatever buss you want. The audio track would have the input set to that buss just like in the video. Only now you don't have to worry about pre-fader/post-fader, etc. Just record arm the audio track, and use the regular fader on the Instrument track to control the output to make sure you're not clipping. In most cases, unity gain should work fine, though if you have plugins on the instrument track (which will also be recorded), they might possibly boost the level a little, so you'll need to double check that.

Also, when you're done recording those instrument tracks to audio tracks, be sure to deactivate the instrument tracks so they're not using up unneeded CPU power. If you want to change or redo something later on, you can always re-activate them.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Using sends like in the video is actually not the most efficient or simplest way to do this.

You can set up the audio tracks the same way, but instead of using a send to a buss, you simply change the output of your instrument track to that buss. So instead of the track's output going to your main monitor (1&2, or whatever), you would change it to output to whatever buss you want. The audio track would have the input set to that buss just like in the video. Only now you don't have to worry about pre-fader/post-fader, etc. Just record arm the audio track, and use the regular fader on the Instrument track to control the output to make sure you're not clipping. In most cases, unity gain should work fine, though if you have plugins on the instrument track (which will also be recorded), they might possibly boost the level a little, so you'll need to double check that.

Also, when you're done recording those instrument tracks to audio tracks, be sure to deactivate the instrument tracks so they're not using up unneeded CPU power. If you want to change or redo something later on, you can always re-activate them.
Here's a way to make this even easier - don't change the output to a bus and instantiate an audio track. Simply change the output of the Instrument using 'new track' and instantiate an audio track giving it a name. Been doing that on all the vi Instrument tracks I use whether it's Play 4/EWQLSO/Ra/Stormdrum 2, Kontakt, etc. Works great and you don't have to do a multi-step track/bus/track thing.

QAPLA!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:48 AM

I find the send-bus method the easiest (Long-Run) as you can record it Post-Fader to the level you've balanced or Pr-Fader to the VI's out level. Also if change is needed just un-mute or make active.
(In Post-Fader you can also mute the originals if not offline but realtime to audio tracks)

This method has also translated into V11 quit well (A primary reason I've moved to 11 offline)
ironically I just posed a 3 min demo (For V11) doing this very topic.
The only V11 difference is the offline process.
Here is the link if it of interest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDmdM13D-Cg