Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 07-10-2021, 02:43 PM

Default "No Record Volumes Designated" error message

Greetings, All!

I've been using Pro Tools First for a few months now and have recorded around 30 projects using my Scarlett 4i4 and MacBook Pro.
Today for the first time I am receiving an error message that reads "No Record Volumes Designated"...

I googled a few solutions but most are geared towards other versions of Pro Tools, which First does not have the same capabilities as: There is no "workspace" option in the window tab for me to configure an appropriate destination, etc.

Does anyone know how to fix this on the First version?

Can anyone help with this, Please?
Thanks so much in advance!

-ZakarYah
Old 07-11-2021, 05:14 AM

Default Re: "No Record Volumes Designated" error message

Where are you recording to? External drive? Internal drive (OS drive)

If external drive then make sure that is connected properly and the port is awake

Check the read/write permissions on the drive so nothing has changed without you seeing it.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-11-2021, 01:35 PM

please forgive me I am beyond nube level, but I think it is internal. the only other thing I have plugged up in my Scarlett 4i4. As far as I know everything gets saved to my internal drive- could it be a space issue? not enough room to continue to store there?
Old 07-11-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakarYah Zamar View Post
please forgive me I am beyond nube level, but I think it is internal. the only other thing I have plugged up in my Scarlett 4i4. As far as I know everything gets saved to my internal drive- could it be a space issue? not enough room to continue to store there?
Could it be a space issue? Maybe. How much space is available on your drive?(IOW, some answers need to be provided by......you). Did you check/reset drive permissions?(if you don't know how to do that, youtube and google are your new best friends)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-22-2021, 05:48 PM

checked the space- no issue there. checked drive permissions and disk allocations on the Mac itself- no issue. I read somewhere it could be an allocation issue within pro tools itself, but there is no "workspace" window on pro tools first for me to change the direct permissions. Also just upgraded to macOS Big Sur thinking that would help- same error message. THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:08 AM

Did this just ”happen” out of the blue without you doing anything? Or did it happen after upgrading to Big Sur?

Try trashing preferences and do real check that the harddrive is set to read and write.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-23-2021, 12:49 PM

Yes, it happened before I updated to Big Sur, I was on Catalina when the issue arose. I thought maybe updating would help but it did not. the only thing I can think of that may have changed is the cord for my Scarlett Focusrite 4i4. The old cord broke, so I used a different USB-A to USB-C cable. The cable switch was my initial thought of issue- that the cord I replaced it with wasn't compatible or something, but I checked on the Focusrite site and it says that any USB-A to USB-C cable will work, they simply recommend its under 2 meters (which mine is). The machine turns on and connects with the new cable so I doubt that is the issue. I will try trashing preferences as you recommended and checking. I'll keep you updated, thanks so much for helping me out. I really appreciate you!
Old 10-07-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakarYah Zamar View Post
Yes, it happened before I updated to Big Sur, I was on Catalina when the issue arose. I thought maybe updating would help but it did not. the only thing I can think of that may have changed is the cord for my Scarlett Focusrite 4i4. The old cord broke, so I used a different USB-A to USB-C cable. The cable switch was my initial thought of issue- that the cord I replaced it with wasn't compatible or something, but I checked on the Focusrite site and it says that any USB-A to USB-C cable will work, they simply recommend its under 2 meters (which mine is). The machine turns on and connects with the new cable so I doubt that is the issue. I will try trashing preferences as you recommended and checking. I'll keep you updated, thanks so much for helping me out. I really appreciate you!
Did you figure out why that message popped up? I’m having the same issue and can’t figure it out for the life of me. Updated to Mac Big Sur and reinstalled pro tools first �� still can’t record