Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boe Larsen View Post
Hey Brandon

PCI1 - ATI Radeon HD 5770 (screencard)
PCI2 - HDX
PCI3 - HDX
PCI4 - UAD

No, did not take the UAD card out. Should I try that?

Thanks,
Boe
Boe I have no idea what is going on, if this just seems to have gone away there is not much more troubleshooting you can do. If it still happens then -- although I would not first suspect hardware, given all you have done I would pull the UAD and the second HDX card and just run with one HDX card and see what happens. If that fails swap the HDX cards in PCI2. If that fails pull all the HDX cards and try opening some of the most problematic sessions in Pro Tools native (use built-in output as the interface). Just trying to see if there is something still very weird with your Pro Tools software/setup or wether it is definitely HDX related (or maybe try switching playback engines with all the cards in there for a quick test).

Did/does this install pass Digitest OK?

What exact model code Mac Pro do you have?

Grasping at straws for ideas... I would be contacting Avid support

Darryl
Old 09-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Default Re: PT just keeps stopping - help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

Boe I have no idea what is going on, if this just seems to have gone away there is not much more troubleshooting you can do. If it still happens then -- although I would not first suspect hardware, given all you have done I would pull the UAD and the second HDX card and just run with one HDX card and see what happens. If that fails swap the HDX cards in PCI2. If that fails pull all the HDX cards and try opening some of the most problematic sessions in Pro Tools native (use built-in output as the interface). Just trying to see if there is something still very weird with your Pro Tools software/setup or wether it is definitely HDX related (or maybe try switching playback engines with all the cards in there for a quick test).

Did/does this install pass Digitest OK?

What exact model code Mac Pro do you have?

Grasping at straws for ideas... I would be contacting Avid support

Darryl
Hey again Darryl

Thanks for the advice.
My Mac Pro is a Mid 2012 (model 5,1) 3.06ghz x 2 (12 core) Xeon.

Digitest went fine.

Boe
Old 09-16-2012, 03:23 PM

When I upgraded to PT 10.2, it required that my HDX card firmware be upgraded. Shortly after, I received alerts about a faulty HDX card fan. Shortly after that, PT 10.2 would stop (after presumably overheating) and refused to play back afterwards.

I don't know if this info will be helpful or not, I'm just relating my experience.

(At the time I was PT 10.2, updated HDX card firmware, and latest version of OMNIHD firmware).
Old 09-16-2012, 04:32 PM

And another post of mine that may not help: but I noticed from your first post there may be other error codes you are seeing but less often - if you list all the ones you get it may help other folks clue in to what is going on. Stick in there must be very frustrating with a high end Mac Pro and HDX2 to have these issues.

Darryl
Old 09-17-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
When I upgraded to PT 10.2, it required that my HDX card firmware be upgraded. Shortly after, I received alerts about a faulty HDX card fan. Shortly after that, PT 10.2 would stop (after presumably overheating) and refused to play back afterwards.

I don't know if this info will be helpful or not, I'm just relating my experience.

(At the time I was PT 10.2, updated HDX card firmware, and latest version of OMNIHD firmware).
Thanks Andy. Think the firmware updated in my cards as well when I installed originally...

Both cards have passed the Digitest so they should be ok.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

Boe I have no idea what is going on...

Darryl
Hi Darryl.

Thanks for your kind responses and generous time.

Yes I really want to get the bottom of this.

Today I worked with the system as it is with all my plugins installed fresh (all newest versions).

My sessions today was typically with about 2-5 stereo audiofiles and 5-10 VI's.

I experienced the same stops today, but managed to get my job done.

I also experienced these anomalies:

One saved session could not be reopened. Same thing with it's session backups. Managed to import session data from one of the backups and get going.

At one point 3-4 VI's showed no output on it's meter although the instrument was playing.

Typicaly got the error on 512 samples on bouncing, but changing to 1024 got me through.

So this evening after session I sat down with some of the problematic sessions and hauled them through, but everything went without a single flaw… Pretty odd.

My error codes are typically: -9171, -9172, -9129.

Didn't have time to do the test with each HDX one at a time (with no UAD), but that will be next step. After that… AVID SUPPORT.

Regards,
Boe
Old 09-18-2012, 03:53 PM

Managed to get the tasks done today as well. Not too many stops...

I do get occasional "Protools low on memory" though - although I have 40gb ram installed.
The current session showing this problem has about 10 VI's - nothing crazy - mostly Arturia Minimoogs a couple of Omnispheres and an Ivory.

Then I restart PT and computer, and the session works fine again.

I get the feeling that this happens when I've been working for some hours with VI's and changing stuff around - as if PT is maybe not good at re-releasing unused RAM. But that's just guess-work. 40gb should be more than enough though, right?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:04 PM

Hey Boe,

I've got almost the exact same rig as you and I'm having similar problems with 9171's, 9172's and 9129's.

No answers yet, but I'll post here if I learn anything. BTW, are you using any Izotope plug ins like Ozone 5 or Alloy 2?

Thanks,

Jamie
Old 09-23-2012, 11:16 PM

I'm having the same issue, nearly identical system except I'm running the UAD satellite and I have a SATA drive, not a SSD.

I am using Ozone 5 and have Alloy2 installed but Alloy isn't instantiated in the session.

I can run the session in question on my Retina MacBook with no errors though.

Another bizarre thing is that I can't get Heat to show up any more. It worked on my previous Mac Pro and I've reinstalled it a number of times. I see it go by during the splash screen, but its no longer available under the options menu.

Billy Bush

OS 10.8.1, PT 10.3, HDX, Mac Pro 5,1 24 gig ram
Old 09-23-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Divide Studios View Post
Hey Boe,

I've got almost the exact same rig as you and I'm having similar problems with 9171's, 9172's and 9129's.

No answers yet, but I'll post here if I learn anything. BTW, are you using any Izotope plug ins like Ozone 5 or Alloy 2?

Thanks,

Jamie
Thanks Jamie. Let's keep each other posted.