Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 09-25-2021, 01:50 AM

Default [SOLVED] how to connect TC Clarity M

Hey Friends

We have a few TC Clarity M stereo and 5.1 units and I am trying to connect one to the CARBON but have no idea how to or how to configure the connections.

On our Apollo X series we had it on the sp/dif connector but Carbon doesn’t have that so how do I connect the TC Clarity M to the Carbon and do I meed to make any setups in i/o aswe never had to do that on our apollos.

Sorry for all the noob questions lately but we are producers and all our awesome interns who usually does all tech are not allowed here due to covid restrictions.

Thanks a million for a step by step. And please explain like I am a 5 yo

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-25-2021, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Q regarding how to connect TC Clarity M

The Clarity M should have a breakout cable and some bnc adapters that you would use to connect to your interface’s AES or SPDIF outputs. The problem is, Carbon does not have either of those outputs. It’s only analog or ADAT.

You could buy an ADAT to AES converter but that’s probably a $1000 investment you were not planning to make.

You might be better off using a software plug-in metering option.

Sorry to be the bearer of not so great news
Old 09-25-2021, 06:42 AM

Thank you for the info good or bad

So you are saying that without paying like $1000 to make it work for a unit that is like $300 is the only way?

I hoped we could use it via digital in/out or on some other connection as it is a pretty expensive interface … so this is now a doorstop if i dont use it with our apollo’s .. sorry for sounding not polite but thats not meant to be so. I am just in awe that i cant use any of the 5-6 connectors that comes with the TC Clarity in a 4000 dollar interface when i can ise it with a focusrite my neighbour has for 300 dollars!!

So none of the digital or analog connections would work on this expensive interface?

PS. What about Optical port on the Carbon as clarity has that and an USB option with a plugin to work the unit if you cant reqch it is from your sweetspot?

Here is some info from TC:

CLARITY M provides a wealth of digital connectivity. Unbalanced AES3 (coaxial) and S/P DIF are available right out of the box, and optional adapters enable you to connect standard AES/EBU with ease. Additionally, you can use the TOSLink* port for optical input and the USB connection to work seamlessly with your favorite DAW.

Source inputs come in a vast array of options including: USB for hassle-free VST*, Audio Units* and AAX* plug-in metering; 6 channels of unbalanced AES3 digital audio on 75 Ohm BNC connectors for broadcast-grade 5.1 metering; and stereo optical for maximum fl exibility. CLARITY M is fully compliant with all major broadcast standards including ITU BS.1770-4, ATSC A/85, EBU R128, TR-B32 and OP-59, and is recommended for all studio environments.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-25-2021, 07:06 AM

Unfortunately the optical on the Carbon is ADAT. The optical into the Clarity is s/pdif. The two are not compatible.

The good news is you can use the Clarity via USB to your host computer and insert the Clarity M plug-in to you DAW of choice and use it that way.

The original post said you wanted to connect it to your Carbon and you’re limited by the choice of outputs the Carbon has vs the physical inputs of the Clarity.

Here’s some info on using the Clarity in Plug-in mode

https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media...Y%20M_M_EN.pdf
Old 09-25-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Unfortunately the optical on the Carbon is ADAT. The optical into the Clarity is s/pdif. The two are not compatible.

The good news is you can use the Clarity via USB to your host computer and insert the Clarity M plug-in to you DAW of choice and use it that way.

The original post said you wanted to connect it to your Carbon and you’re limited by the choice of outputs the Carbon has vs the physical inputs of the Clarity.

Here’s some info on using the Clarity in Plug-in mode

https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media...Y%20M_M_EN.pdf
Thank you soo much! Yeah I would love to have it connected to Carbon but i will try the usb option and see how that works.

Great info! Thank you soo much

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-25-2021, 08:44 AM

Default Q regarding how to connect TC Clarity M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Thank you soo much! Yeah I would love to have it connected to Carbon but i will try the usb option and see how that works.

Hey Chris.

Didn’t we go through this already in another thread? Pretty sure we all suggested this stuff for you over there as well.

Either way, using the USB input is definitely how you’ll have to integrate it with Carbon due to the Optical limitation.

Unless there’s a specific reason why you want to do it post interface, it should work out fine for you.

I actually think those meters are great, especially for the price. Been wanting to grab one for a while but never seem to get round to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post

So now that you can configure the optical output for SPDIF, have you tried to see if the Clarity works !? Had been meaning to pick one up but since it didn’t work before I held off.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:18 AM

Carbon should be, as per specifications, able to output SPDIF optical which is compatible with TC box. The new user guide of Carbon says that there is a setup window where you can choose whether optical output is ADAT or SPDIF.

What I do not know, because I do not have Carbon (someone please send me), is whether it is PT only or a setting that can benefit other DAW's as well.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Carbon should be, as per specifications, able to output SPDIF optical which is compatible with TC box. The new user guide of Carbon says that there is a setup window where you can choose whether optical output is ADAT or SPDIF.

What I do not know, because I do not have Carbon (someone please send me), is whether it is PT only or a setting that can benefit other DAW's as well.
S/PDIF from Carbon might work with some equipment but it doesn't work with the RME ADI2 Pro fs. (Another thread here, and a support call logged on this subject).

And if you want a mirrored output (mains + S/PDIF), that has to be within PT - within MacOS (and presumably other DAWs) you get to address the S/PDIF directly, as 2 of the 26 output channels, but the mirroring setup is an internal PT setting which doesn't persist once you've quit PT.

I'm also used to being able to adjust the level of the S/PDIF out on my RME Babyface Pro fs, and you can't do that with the Carbon - it's just a full-scale passthrough.

Dominic
Old 11-06-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
S/PDIF from Carbon might work with some equipment but it doesn't work with the RME ADI2 Pro fs. (Another thread here, and a support call logged on this subject).

And if you want a mirrored output (mains + S/PDIF), that has to be within PT - within MacOS (and presumably other DAWs) you get to address the S/PDIF directly, as 2 of the 26 output channels, but the mirroring setup is an internal PT setting which doesn't persist once you've quit PT.

I'm also used to being able to adjust the level of the S/PDIF out on my RME Babyface Pro fs, and you can't do that with the Carbon - it's just a full-scale passthrough.

Dominic
Appreciate the info. Can you clarify if you can send SPDIF to say a Clarity but still able to receive ADAT on the inputs!?