Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2016, 12:59 AM

Default Please advise on sound card purchase

Hi guys, what non-Avid sound card would you advise to get that plays well with PT and has 4 or more inputs-outputs? Will be used with mac computers and must have aell written driver / fast updates. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2016, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Pleas advise on sound card purchase

You mean an actual sound card? Like a PCIe card for a Mac Pro Chesegrater? Or an external interface?

What exact model Mac? Do you have? We need to know it it has Thunderbolt for example.

You need 4 line ins? 4 Mic Pres? 1 DI? More? What digital IO? (S/PDIF? AES/EBU? ADAT? Outs or Ins?)

Hardware monitoring? In-box effects like reverb?

Do you have tough low-latency software monitoring needs (so likely a Thunderbolt or PCIe interface).

How many outputs needed for cue mix? Main/alt speakers/monitor control features etc?

Any strong preference for USB 2 or Thunderbolt or Firewire 800 etc? connectivity for compatibility with other computers etc.? OK if it can never work with a PC/Windows? (e.g. are Apogee Digital interfaces OK?).

Budget?
Old 08-08-2016, 01:35 AM

Depends on your budget.. but I would defenently recommend the new Focusrite line (clarett) TB and really really great preamps/converters! If you don't have TB (I think you do) ... then look into the Scarlett line which is usb. I have had no problems with focusrite products or customer service at all.

You can also go down the Apollo, Apogee, UA road if you got the cash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2016, 08:11 AM

RME has some of if not the best drivers IMHO - and others.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-08-2016, 01:31 PM

Guys, sorry for not being more clear. I'm Digi / Avid HW guy myself and have close to zero experience with Native systems and third party HW. I personally will keep using PTHD & Avid HW but I need this info for a friend of mine. He is looking to invest into a Native external box style system that is future proof on OSX machines. So that pretty much means USB3 and Thunderbolt would be the way to go. I have asked around the other places too and it looks like RME and UA are the ones that seem to keep it up and running and not turning down customers too often. Problem with UA seems to be they don't fully support Mac (no USB support!?!) So right now it looks like RME seems to me the most up-voted company. But I have no idea if RME cards play well with PT SW? My friend really likes M-Box Pro but since its EOL'ed I can't recommend it as the driver support will continue most likely only up to the end of 2020.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Please advise on sound card purchase

Brands I'd personally look at (in kinda order of my own interest are) Apogee Digital, UAD, MOTU, RME, Presonus. And those vendors and models all covers a huge range in cost, features and quality. I'd be guided more by his needs... which we have no clue about. Many others brands I'd avoid, largely based on poor support (including Avid interfaces or re-branded Apogee interfaces).

Focusrite has been having too many software issues that affected users, otherwise I'd normally be recommending them. Still things like the new Claret may be worth a look (and the Red 4 Pre is a really fascinating interface).
Old 08-09-2016, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
seconded. UCX or something bigger for your needs.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Agreed. Used a Fireface UFX with PT HD12 for a week for field recordings. Not a single hiccup.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen View Post
Not a single hiccup...
... same for me since 5 years with a Fireface 800 on Mac and Pc.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060