Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 01:47 AM

Default To Allenstein or not to Allenstein?

Hey again!
I dont mean to be a pessimist but I posted my concerns (below) two days ago and I only got two replies despite over 100 readings from two very cool people (thanks guys) and I'm wondering - has feck all people actually built this machine? I'm a bit concerned and would kindly ask that anyone who reads this and has built the Allenstein Machine to PLEASE gimme some reassurance.

Thanks everyone for your patients....

-Keith

Hi everyone,
I'm hoping for some reassurance here. I've decided to buy the components of The Allenstein Machine and build my first PC however, like all 'first-times' I'm a bit anxious. I dont mind the actual fixing together of the components - that I can handle. It's more a case of will the machine run smoothly with just these components or do I need more than what's listed?
I have a slow Celeron and a part from its crap performance it has never given me any conflict problems. I 'm therefore wondering when I build my Allenstein Machine and install XP and Protools can I expect much teething problems and tweeking?
Hope you can advise me and set my concerns at rest. Look forward to hearing from all Allenstein Machine owners.
Regards,
-Keith
Old 06-22-2005, 06:06 AM

Default Re: To Allenstein or not to Allenstein?

Keith

I can safely speak for approx 70% of the DUC......Build an Allenstein! If you did any amount of searching/reading on this board and saw the number of posts regarding this, you'd have no doubts. There is a post from a month or so ago that everyone chimes in about how Allen has helped them, find it read it.

Will you have a problem once you build your pc? Yes, you might.....who hasn't had some weird thing to work through. Post your issue and in most cases someone, if not Allen himself, will get you past it. good luck.
Windows 10 Pro 1909
ASUS X-99 II
Intel i7
32GB RAM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
www.doylemusic.com
Old 06-22-2005, 07:18 AM

i was in the same boat as you are in January--feeling a little apprehensive about builing my own system--but i'll tell ya, the moment i booted up PTLE on the my new computer smelling of long-chain polymer plastic parts, i was so fu&*in happy!!--personally, i did not run into not one problem--the best advice i can give is take your time on building this, dont rush or force anything--and follow the DUC everyday that you can, and dont hesitate to ask questions--there are great people in this forum who know thier stuff and would be more than happy to help you along the way---also, i think one of the biggest benefits of building your own, is the knowledge you pull away with--you can really see how these major computer companies really almost rip you off---best of luck to you

these links may help you along the way:
www.newegg.com
http://www.musicxp.net/

Digi002R w/ PTLE 6.7
Asus k8v-SE deluxe motherboard
AMD 3400+ processor
Kingston 512mb RAM (X2)
Western Digital 80G Hardrives (X2)
ATI RADEON 9200 video card
Lite-On DVD-RW drive
Evercase ATX computer case w/ 450W power supply
w/
Reason Adapted
Sampletank LE
Ableton Live
Spectrasonics Trilogy,Stylus Remix,& Atmosphere
Antares Filter
Waves Gold
Old 06-22-2005, 12:35 PM

SOLD - to the doubting git from Ireland! Thanks very much for all your help and advise guys I'm going to order the Allenstein components this minute Rockin'

-Keith
Old 06-22-2005, 07:16 PM

My man be not afraid. My Allenstein machine that I am running right now was the first computer I ever built. Previously I paid allmost 2 grand for a guy to build me one. It ran well but when it came time to upgrade I said I can do this myself. And the "Allenstein Challenge" thread was all it took to push me over the edge. It went smoothly, it was so easy. PCs are like Mr. Potato head you can't go wrong as long as you buy compatible parts. Follow the specs in the "Best Desktop" thread and you can't go wrong. Do it man, do it.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com
Old 06-22-2005, 10:29 PM

I myself just build a killer PC for my brother in law. I didnt aim to get it an allenstein, but i must be a member of this forum a bit too long. I got all the components for 700 euro (minus monitor), and got a very nice case.

It is an Asus K8V-SE deluxe with an Athlon64 3000 in it.

I'll advise you to start building silent from the get-go. Get a silent psu, a silent cooler, vga-card with no fan, replace any case-fans with Pabst-fans. This pc is so quiet it wouldnt be a problem to have around in a studio.

Either way...plan plan plan. and then indeed take your time. If you dont understand, stop, and go ask here.

Bastiaan