Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2021, 10:19 AM

Default Lynx Aurora (n) USB2.0 vs DigiLink

Hi, I am leaving the prosumer interface and moving to a dedicated converter. I am running an AMD Ryzen processor on a non-thunderbolt compatible MoBo. The Lynx Aurora (n) USB2.0 seems like a good option for me but I’m curious.. what does one gain by using DigiLink? I don’t have the HD version of ProTools so I can’t say the option is worth me looking into but I’m really curious what the benefits are? Thanks!
Old 12-19-2021, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Lynx Aurora (n) USB2.0 vs DigiLink

There are likely zero benefits to you of using DigiLink and lots of disadvantages.

My old saying is if you don't know you need DigiLink then you don't need or want it.

DigiLink interfaces do not work with Pro Tools Standard, they require both Pro Tools Ultimate and a separate Digilink License. Lots of past discussion on DUC about DigiLink licenses, I'm not repeating that here.

Digilink with multiple HDX cards offer beyond 64x64 IO, the only way you can do lots of IO with Pro Tools. If you need that from Pro Tools then you have to be using DigiLink.

While Digilink interfaces offer lots of expandability and flexibility of stacking and racking different IO boxes but unless you need that it's of no use. And I'd argue that if you need that now it may be better to build a more modern multi-interface box system based on MADI, or AVB, or (if not latency critical) DANTE. But if using Pro Tools you'll be limited to 64x64 IO without DigiLink. Does not seem any of this is a need or issue for you.

I'd argue that Avid driver engineering and customer support is worse than that offered by other high-end vendors (RME, UAD, etc.). I hope Lynx have good support for their USB products (I don't know overall) ... but if you go DigiLink all the driver support comes from Avid. There has been a slew of recent problems with Avid driver updates on HD and HDX cards on Macintosh that is concerning.

If you were working on Mac (which you are not)... for any interface vendors I'd be asking what their Apple M1 silicon driver support plan looks like... good ones will be delivering drivers now. Lynx current lack of support for USB drivers on M1 and AFAIK not providing a committed timeline to do this would stop me looking at their products if I was on a Mac (even Intel Mac today).

For folks who have a background in DigiLink systems it maybe/is appealing to keep using them, especially say finding used Digilink IO boxes. If you know them and are used to them they can be great.

There is absolutely no audio quality benefits to DigiLink. Avid's drivers are fairly efficient, but so are good USB and Thunderbolt and other drivers from the better vendors (RME driver efficiency has always been impressive for example).
Old 12-19-2021, 12:03 PM

Thank you so much for clarifying!
Old 12-21-2021, 06:20 AM

Using a Digico Soundgrid DLI unit has allowed me to use our modified 192 units with digilink connections with Pro Tools standard for more than 4 years.
PT 2022.12 studio, Cubase 12 Pro, 12 Core Mac Pro 6,1 96GB OS X 12.6.6, Mac Mini i7 QC 16GB, Digico Soundgrid DLI, Revive Audio 96IO & 192 DBox & 2BussLT for summing, Waves, SoundToys and a pile of other plugins. NI Maschine/Komplete Ultimate 12 and many many, too many Kontakt Libraries.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmT..._as=subscriber
Old 12-21-2021, 09:07 AM

Digilink MIGHT offer a lower latency, but nothing else(and I am speculating as I have no way to test)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-21-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
While Digilink interfaces offer lots of expandability and flexibility of stacking and racking different IO boxes but unless you need that it's of no use. And I'd argue that if you need that now it may be better to build a more modern multi-interface box system based on MADI, or AVB, or (if not latency critical) DANTE. But if using Pro Tools you'll be limited to 64x64 IO without DigiLink. Does not seem any of this is a need or issue for you.
Latency can be good or bad with AVB and Dante. It's generally more configurable with Dante and can be as low as 125us (not including converter latency). Guaranteed latency for AVB Class A is 2ms but, this can be tuned on the receiving side (the timestamps represent the presentation time rather than the sending time, as is the case with some other protocols).
Old 12-21-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Latency can be good or bad with AVB and Dante. It's generally more configurable with Dante and can be as low as 125us (not including converter latency). Guaranteed latency for AVB Class A is 2ms but, this can be tuned on the receiving side (the timestamps represent the presentation time rather than the sending time, as is the case with some other protocols).
Thanks Luke, great data, I do see more Dante systems with high latency, especially when using virtual soundcard, and to be clear in situations where that does not matter. And I expect most casual attempts to use Dante here to involve folks wanting to use Virtual Soundcard. And of course practical IO buffer size is critical. (Ah two Australians discussing Dante, how nice )

Here for the OP looking for a one-box interface setup I just expect USB is the way to go. KISS and all that.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pi-town View Post
Hi, I am leaving the prosumer interface and moving to a dedicated converter. I am running an AMD Ryzen processor on a non-thunderbolt compatible MoBo. The Lynx Aurora (n) USB2.0 seems like a good option for me but I’m curious.. what does one gain by using DigiLink? I don’t have the HD version of ProTools so I can’t say the option is worth me looking into but I’m really curious what the benefits are? Thanks!
Question, do you plan on using hardware inserts?
Old 12-22-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Eye Studios View Post
Question, do you plan on using hardware inserts?
I don’t have a lot of outboard gear at the moment. Any new purchases will likely be in the form of pre/eqs or channel strips. Hardware inserts would be something I might consider in the distant future after I’ve acquired a decent selection of what I mention above but and even then, I really only see myself using hardware inserts to run my mix through a stereo bus compressor and eq. Other than maybe a little bit of latency when dialing in the knobs, I don’t see it being a huge burden.

I hope that gives you a better idea of my wants/needs.

Last edited by pi-town; 12-22-2021 at 10:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-22-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pi-town View Post
I don’t have a lot of outboard gear at the moment. Any new purchases will likely be in the form of pre/eqs or channel strips. Hardware inserts would be something I might consider in the distant future after I’ve acquired a decent selection of what I mention above but and even then, I really only see myself using hardware inserts to run my mix through a stereo bus compressor and eq. Other than maybe a little bit of latency when dialing in the knobs, I don’t see it being a huge burden.

I hope that gives you a better idea of my wants/needs.
Yeah, since you're not really using hardware inserts, I wouldn't worry about Digilink. If you were using hardware inserts, I'd say absolutely go PTHD and get the Aurora with LT-HD2 card.