Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-14-2002, 02:46 PM

Default How to maintain both the edit and mix window open

Is there a setting that maintains both the edit and the mix window open at the same time as I am clicking on the play and rewind etc...
Old 04-14-2002, 03:26 PM

Default Re: How to maintain both the edit and mix window open

What I do is have both windows huge and overlapping each other completely. When I want to change between them I simply hold down the apple key and press the "plus" key at the top right of the row of numbers on your keyboard, to toggle between the two windows.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:08 PM

I guess what I mean is not have to toggle just be able to have them both open while I'm looking at some of the channels and the edit window.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:23 PM

I guess you could just resize the edit and mix windows so that they're either narrower or or not as tall so they can both be visible... the only thing would be that you would be limiting what you can actually see on them, might have to do a lot of scrolling. (depending on the size of your screen i guess)
Old 04-14-2002, 04:40 PM

yes thats what I've done but as soon as I've got it set up like that and then I try to rewind or play etc... the mix window disapears and I have to bring it back up again. I especially need it because when I am automating some gain or pan I like to be able to see the wave as it's coming up and affect it while I watch it at the same time. eventually I see that I have to have two monitors but I just thought that there might be a setting that could how this setting in both modes without losing one.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:51 PM

make sure they dont overlap, or at least not enough for the mix window to be completely covered by the edit window...
Old 04-14-2002, 05:10 PM

if you want to automate the pan and the volume, you can do it by selecting volume or pan from the pulldown menu that says waveform on it. (this is under your track name where it has rec enable, mute and all that...) then you can use your pencil, grabber or trimmer to edit these things. just be sure you attach the automation to your region, or you can lose some of it if you move or trim that region.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:27 AM

Twin view could be your answer...One monitor for the Edit window and one for the Mix window. Pretty comfortable...
Old 04-15-2002, 04:31 AM

surchur, I'm not sure why you would want to have both the mix and edit windows open.

I find myself using the mix window extremely rarely. I setup my sessions to where I can see all the important items in the edit window.

To do that I pull down the DISPLAY Menu

Then highlight EDIT WINDOW SHOWS

Then select I/O VIEW, INSERTS VIEW and SENDS VIEW

That sets all those boxes just to the left of the waveforms in the tracks and gives me everything important on one view, without having to bounce back and forth between mix and edit windows. The only thing that doesn't show up is the moving faders.

The only time I find myself going back to the mix window is to demonstrate PT to someone new. The mix window makes a bit more sense to someone uninitiated to DAW Recording. And to potential new clients the moving faders are impressive.
Old 04-15-2002, 04:38 AM

why dont you just increase the size of the track your automating so that thats the ony thing you have in the edit window. and bring up that channels fader by clicking on the lil star below the solo mute and record buttons...i dont do this but it should work....