Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2009, 06:44 PM

Default Intro and some trouble

I'm trying to figure out something. I needed some recording software that did more than 4 tracks. ProTools is way overkill for what I'm doing right now, but I opened the box and it's now mine.

So after several attempts I got it loaded and it seems to work. I read about the USB drive deal, which is where I originally wanted to store work, and I still can store it there, just not while PT is active. So I cleared about 30 GB off my secondary IDE HD, giving me 50 GB free space which should be sufficient for what I'm doing.

I was on the phone with Sweetwater yesterday and we were checking motherboard compatibility and stuff and my motherboard, processor, memory, drives, etc., are compatible. I'm running a Athelon 64 2800+ processor (ancient) 1.85 GHz, WinXP Home SP3, PT 7.4 cs8, with an upgrade available to PT 8 (but I'm waiting a bit on this -- I've got my authorization code). I followed the instructions on running PT with my meager 1 GB of RAM, and tried to upgrade the size of the RAM but they didn't have any Kingston PC3200 -- they had PNY and the two don't mix systemwise on this beast. My interface is a Black Box (drivers updated on Friday with the help of M-Audio with the knowledge that I have M-Powered ProTools). ProTools recognizes my interface. I can't afford a new PC. So I've got to make due or buy a new PC which I really can't do until April. So I close everything that would be running except for PT.

PT loads fine. It runs fine. I've tested out some stuff with it. Problem: Sometimes when I exit the program it closes but my processor sits there at 100% usage forever until I just give up and reboot. What's the deal here?