Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Sync X & SYNC HD

Old 07-22-2022, 08:05 AM

Default Sync IO into a MTRX Studio

Hi,

Is it possible to connect an Avid Sync IO into a MTRX Studio then run ProTools Ultimate as I have never tried this before would connecting Loop Sync In/Out provide me with a connection.

Regards
Old 07-22-2022, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Sync IO into a MTRX Studio

You need Sync HD or Sync X (Sync IO will not work)

Feed the word clock out from the MTRX to the Sync. Don't use loop sync. Don't feed the Sync word clock to the MTRX. In DADman, set the MTRX to reference clock from the digilink. In Pro Tools Session Setup, tell the clock reference to be the Sync HD word clock in.

That's it (other than the serial cable to the HDX card from the Sync and the setup in Peripherals)
Old 07-22-2022, 11:54 AM

To BScout,

Sync IO would not work at all if used with MTRX Studio.

You say ''Don't use loop sync''. Don't feed the Sync word clock to the MTRX why is that? is it because it has its own internal clock when using DADMan.
If I do not have an HDX setup just HD DigiLink then is it a non starter.

Regards
Old 07-22-2022, 01:05 PM

Sync IO won't work with any modern Pro Tools version. That is why. Only the Sync HD and the new Sync X are supported on Pro Tools versions 11 or later.

Loop sync only is useful if you have more than one interface. You appear not to. In addition, on the MTRX, it runs on its own internal clock but references the external clock fed to it to find out what clock it should be. There is no point in anything being a "master clock" for the MTRX. It has its own internal clock all the time. DADman just lets you set what it references. DADman is the control software for the MTRX (it isn't a "when using" situation.) Whether you have DADman open or closed, the settings that DADman gave the MTRX are what is happening.

If you have an HD Native card or HD Native Thunderbolt box or HDX card, you can use a SyncHD or SyncX box. If you do not have one of those three things, then you can't hook up the SyncHD/SyncX box in any useful way.

On top of that, unless you work to picture/video, there is no point. The MTRX clock is better in the first place. What is your point in using a Sync box?

(And once again, the "Sync IO" box version will not work -- Pro Tools no longer supports it. So if you bought one for cheap, it's already trash)
Old 07-22-2022, 02:41 PM

To BScout,

I bought one cheap hoping to use It for picture / video If not I may return it to the original seller.

Regards
Old 07-22-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrelandM View Post
To BScout,

I bought one cheap hoping to use It for picture / video If not I may return it to the original seller.

Regards
Now you know why you got it for cheap. If it is a model with blue ends (rack ears), then it has to say "Sync HD" on it. If it is a grey/purple model -- those were all Sync HD units. And now we have the all black "Sync X"

If it a model with blue ends (rack ears) and says Sync IO, that will not work and hasn't for a long, long time. That's the reason they go for so little used.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Feed the word clock out from the MTRX to the Sync. Don't use loop sync. Don't feed the Sync word clock to the MTRX. In DADman, set the MTRX to reference clock from the digilink. In Pro Tools Session Setup, tell the clock reference to be the Sync HD word clock in.
BScout, I have questions about not using Loop Sync. I have a Sync HD and a MTRX Studio. I also have an Aja Gen10 tri-level sync generator and an Aja IO4k video playout device. I currently have it setup with tri-level sync feeding the Video Ref In on both the Sync HD and the Aja IO4k. I have Loop Sync run between the Sync HD and the MTRX Studio. And I have the DADman Sync Source set to Loop Sync. Since the Sync HD has to be the master clock in order to resolve the audio sample clock with the video ref signal, isn't this the only way to have a fully gen-locked system with frame edge alignment between video and audio?
Old 07-29-2022, 10:48 AM

Not the only way.
You can have the MTRX reference its clock from digilink or word clock too.
Pretty much, Pro Tools has no idea what the MTRX units are doing. And the MTRX units can be set to reference any clock you want.

And for frame edge, Pro Tools only needs to be "using" the SyncHD as the clock reference and then the Sync HD needs to reference your tri-level sync. So the "loop sync" part of it really doesn't matter. You could also feed the MTRX with word clock from the SyncHD, for instance.
Old 07-30-2022, 01:40 AM

Hi Sync users,

"Not the only way"

How about trying different way's to sync io from these avid units anyone else have further ideas on this question. As BScout mentioned via digilink, word clock. Possibly even midi timecode ''as ProTools has no idea what the MTRX units are doing''.

Just for the thread I kept this Sync IO and hope to run it free standing.

Regards
Old 07-31-2022, 03:15 PM
Avid

I would talk to your local reseller and try to upgrade into a SYNC X. SYNC IO is EOL. SYNC X is an exponentially better clock (JetPLL) which also includes:

HD Video Ref Generation
Word Clock Distribution
Stand Alone Mode
Lock to Atomic Clock
AES3id

SYNC X supports Clock Teardown = maintaining clock persistence whether Pro Tools is quit or the workstation is rebooted...

If you have access to a SYNC HD - that can also be very useful and still includes the clock persistence.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ