Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 AM

Default Please tell me when PT11 comes out Sandra reports are never needed again!

No offense, I keep an active Avid Pro Tools 10 license installed, but to me it's been the biggest waste of money I've spent in a long while. Reason being it's a task to get it working with any system, unless specifically supported which is crap.

Most daw manufactures understand code alot better then Avid or Dig did years ago , and the new daws perform 10x better because of this..

Tell Me Pro Tools 11 will be more like a new reinvention vs porting old code into the new daw..

PLEASE!
Akai MPK 88|Novation 61SL MKII |Grace 101|Focusrite Pre
Monitor Station|HP4|Faderport|DynAudio Bm5a MK2|Event Tr8|22 GIK Traps|2Ears
Software: Pro Tools 9.03|Logic 9|Studio One Pro
Old 03-01-2013, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Please tell me when PT11 comes out Sandra reports are never needed again!

The more elaborate a system, the more stringent the requirements are. PT 11 will most likely have very similar requirements to 10. And there's LOTS of documentation as to what works and what doesn't. Research BEFORE you buy, not after, and THEN you probably won't need to post a Sandra, because you have the correct configuration.

"Any system "? Really? So I should expect it to run on a Commodore 64 then?

Addendum: Even back in the early days of DAWs (i.e. when I ran SAW PRO,) it had very specific system requirements too, right down to what brand of motherboard to use. And it had about 10% of the capabilities that Pro Tools does.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Please tell me when PT11 comes out Sandra reports are never needed again!

Sorry I should have broke it down, most modern systems, being quads,i5s, i7 cpus rarely have issues with most if not all current daws and software in general, Pro Tools is far behind when it comes to compatibility, Not sure how Pro that is anymore.

On my Mac Pro Tools works great,but on the same cpu, in windows not so much, kinda weird. Hoping that it's nothing like 10 when it comes to compatibility..
Old 03-01-2013, 12:21 PM

Having set up both, MAC systems seem to require less fiddling. BUT. I've built a crap-load of Windows systems that worked the first time too. Requirements for moving audio around at this level are much more stringent than an average, "off-the-shelf" PC can provide. Perhaps that's the advantage, that the MAC system is very proprietary, but there's HUNDREDS of different PC manufacturers. "Latest greatest" in the PC world doesn't guarantee a PT-compatible rig, and that's why you'll see the vast majority of us WIndows users just getting the right pieces and building our own.
Where the Sandra comes into play is to give us the ability to diagnose where someone's configuration just isn't up to the task.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 PM

Yes indeed. The biggest reason for Sandra reports is folks that build or buy incompatible computers. If only everyone built or bought the right stuff.......

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-01-2013, 01:45 PM

Or if they just built the daw to be more cpu friendly like other daws?
Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLance View Post
Or if they just built the daw to be more cpu friendly like other daws?
Well, to be fair, Pro Tools was originally written for Mac, and Mac's use very specific hardware whereas with pc's, there are tons of individual parts that are interchangeable, but not necessarily compatible with Pro Tools. I was thrilled when Digidesign originally began offering Pro Tools on Windows and I didn't mind making sure my pc was compatible. I think Avid is trying to make Pro Tools more compatible with a wider variety of hardware configurations, but it's always been the case that some software requires certain hardware in order to function properly. I think the problem comes in where you can go to any music store and purchase Pro Tools for "Windows" without realizing the requirements. And a lot of the people selling Pro Tools in retail stores aren't aware of the requirements and deal out false information. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-01-2013, 02:13 PM

Second what cwsand said. It's amazing to me how many guys in "music" stores just want to sell something and don't concern themselves in the least whether the guy buying it can actually use it! "Sales guys that don't ask lots of questions have skinny, starving children."
Stripped down, hobbyist-level, run-of-the-mill editing programs are VERY "cpu friendly." Because they just can't approach this level of functionality.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:30 PM

HA this is hilarious, I just loaded up PT 10 on my windows partition. Mind you it's the same cpu as my mac. Just different OS..

1 plugin Xpand 2 > Error -9128 you are running out of cpu power.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:30 PM

Personally, PT 10 has worked OK on my self made Windows 7 machine but I cannot wait to finally get a version of PT that can take proper advantage of what lays beneath it and not be crippled by the need for Avid to sell their own hw & services - assuming that happens (my investments in Avid stopped a couple of years ago and I am ready to jump the ship if need be). Idea Scale has been full of various requests (http://protools.ideascale.com/a/idea...cussionID=1087) and many are several years old already (64 bit support, Freeze, multiple edit & mix windows with varying track combinations, better instrument support, better MIDI, proper use of the CPU cores & multitasking etc.) supported by many other DAWs. I think the only ones who actually check Idea Scale are the other DAW developers

The sad prediction about PT 11 is that it will take a year or so before we will have a stable working system again and the introduction of AAX will make all your RTAS investments obsolete all while the same plugins in, for example, VST format just keep on working. I would hope that the plugin developers offered free updates to AAX but at least some seem to want to make more money with them => you are paying basically for nothing valuable to you (naturally the plugin developer has to put money and resources into developing yet another plugin format).

Thus, I think that when PT 11 comes out there will, unfortunately, be a year of heavy Sandra usage...
StudioOne + Cubase (+ Pro Tools for simpler old stuff)