Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2010, 08:43 AM

Default Omni with digital monitors?

Does anyone know (from first hand experience, preferrably) if the Omni can be configured as a monitor controller for digital speakers connected directly to the AES/EBU outputs? Any caveats?

Secondly, I would also very much like to know if I can use a single active analogue speaker as the ALT choice and have automatical fold-down to mono when switching to this output? The main speakers would still be digital and stereo in this setup?

Anyone tried to configure something like this?

My current setup is a pair of Genelec 8240 with the 7260 sub and GLM software. This system does have analogue inputs, but I use the digital side as it provides several significant functional advantages that are important to me.

My current signal flow is as follows:

Main speakers:
PT HD D/A converters ->analog monitor controller -> Lavry AD10 -> AES/EBU into the Genelec system. The Genelec GLM system handles the bass management for the sub.

Alt speaker(s) - used mainly for one-speaker mono reference:
PT HD D/A converters ->analog monitor controller (mono summing switch) -> Avantone active speaker(s).

The relative levels between the Main and Alt speakers are trimmed in the monitor controller.

As you can see, my current signal flow involves unnecessary conversion, (albeit of fairly decent quality). The signal flow is also somewhat impractical from a gain staging point of view as there are multiple calibration points and potential headrooms issues to watch throughout the chain. Now if the Omni actually can handle the two functions I mention above, it would remove all these issues in one sweep. I could replace both the monitor controller and the Lavry and get a much more elegant and practical solution in every respect. Anyone out there who knows if this would work?

Cheers,

Bag
Old 12-05-2010, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Omni with digital monitors?

at least according to the omni manual you can assign any of the analog or digital outputs to the monitor paths, main or alt.

as well as assign either the main or alt to do an automatic fold down.

I will be ordering my unit soon, so I dont have any hands on, but I think you are barking up the right tree for your needs. I would call Avid, I spoke to someone named John Widcore (sp?) who answered a bunch of questions for me.

MKD Creative
Old 12-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Sounds like the essence of the question is.... will the Volume Knob on the Omni work with digital output? ff
Old 12-05-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formfunction View Post
Sounds like the essence of the question is.... will the Volume Knob on the Omni work with digital output? ff
If that's the question then the answer is yes.