Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2003, 06:01 AM

Default O.T. Digital Distortion on New No Doubt CD ???

Hey All: I can't get over this...I picked up the new No Doubt cd last week and noticed on track #5 “Sunday Morning” has what sounds like a couple digital clips at about 3:09 in the bridge of the song, when Gwen sings “and now you’re looking like I used toooo..”. I thought maybe it was just the greatest hits, and was going to take the cd back to the store, until I dug out the actual tragic kingdom cd…it’s like that on the original cd !!!! How does this happen with a label cd ? Obviously something got too hot at one point, but why and how did this get missed. Please no debates on musical taste in regards to digital distortion, this is in no way a pleasing or tasteful sound, and certainly not a sound that belongs on a commercially released recording. Did Interscope think no one would notice ? Maybe I’m a bit off the deep end here but that’s sooo unprofessional, I would never let one of my recordings out of the studio sounding like that. I love No Doubt’s music, but that to me is completely unacceptable. Anyone want to buy a couple no doubt cd’s? Maybe No Doubt would like to work with an engineer that knows how to record below 0db ? The band can certainly contact me for their next recording, if they’d like professional results. All kidding aside, what do you folks think of this ???
Old 12-20-2003, 10:11 AM

Default Re: O.T. Digital Distortion on New No Doubt CD ???

You know...I've not listened to the "Tragic Kingdom" album for quite a while..but now that you mentioned it....I do seem to remember a few flaws in that album.

I couldn't believe it either...but it was easy enough to miss unless you're listening fairly carefully. Most likely it was decided it wasn't worth the expense or risk losing the dynamic of the song to fix it or re-do it. Their album is not unique in that regard. While I can't think of any off the top of my head, I'm sure there are several examples other duc members could point out.

Old 12-20-2003, 01:14 PM

I've posted a couple of seconds at that mark 3:09 track 5. Is this what you're talking about?
I want to know we're listening at the same place.

DV

Clip of Track 5 at 3:09
Old 12-21-2003, 07:23 AM

Hey Darren: Yeah you've got some of it, the worst clip is just after your edit point. I've made an edit myself that I can mail to you, if you like. Converting to mp3 actually minimizes the clipping sound slightly. As well, Jeff, I definatly see your point, and I've heard other "mistakes" on label recordings, but moreso, in a performance...that type of thing can be very cool, but I cannot say that I've ever heard digital clipping of that nature on a label recording. This has nothing to do with the dynamic of the recording and as far as expense to fix it...it should have been a quick punch in, it sounds like Gwen's voice got too hot on the one line. Maybe I'm too picky with my own stuff...I would have never let that go. I would certainly not want a potential new client to hear something like that from my little studio. Anyway thanks for your interest, and for your attention to my little rant. Maybe it sounds better on a mac ??
Old 12-21-2003, 09:00 AM

Rob, when I'm ready to release my next CD, I'll certianly offer you the job of proofing!
I bought the "Singles" CD by No doubt for Track 2. The bass lines are mesmerizing!

Anyhoo....

I'm a big Thomas Dolby fan and I know there are a few others here too.

I've bought this CD 4 different times (don't ask why:) the last couple used and every one I've always heard this wierd digital click on Track 4: Pop Culture at 4:20 after the word "you". Since I can hear the tape I don't believe it in the tracking but I think it could be a digital sampler. Anyway....

Thomas Dolby - Aliens Ate my Buick / Pop Culture

I've posted a 2 second clip (160 bitrate) with the clip in the middle (appx.)

download short clip

Old 12-21-2003, 02:31 PM

Another Thomas Dolby fan here.... and honestly I had never noticed that as a glitch even after years of listening to it. I figured it was the bass string pops because there is a lot of thumping and bass noises going on in that song. I guess either my ears/brain just wasnt listening to it, or picking up on it.
But now, thanks to you, thats all I can hear now!!!

Honestly.. it does sound like a bad punch... what year was that recorded? I wonder if crossfading a punch was as easy as it is now? I was recording on tape in those days so I just don't know.

Now days its almost as if there is no excuse for it..heheh. Edit Undo...

Brings to mind mastering flaws too. The whole "louder is better" thing just bugs the crap out of me.

Rush for instance.. .. Rush's latest album, not the live one, has so many square waves in it that it makes me cringe. The performance is there, but it just sounds terrible. It sure is loud though...

Old 12-21-2003, 03:02 PM

Speaking of loud... you have to hear Stained-14 Shades of Grey, I couldn't believe how loud this CD was mastered.

Rob
Old 12-21-2003, 08:00 PM

The only reason we don't hear many "mistakes" on "commercial" cds is because there is a proverbial task force working on the album. Whoever engineer here, his assistant, the mixer, etc./whatever. Chances are things will come out pretty combed over.

Also, I highly doubt a bit of clipping is going to offend the average fan, who's caterwauling horrendously out of tune with the singing in the first place.

People are people and mistakes are going to be made. But yeah, It sucks to hear stuff like that roll out of $20394820394204.00 studios, when a kid in his garage can produce a recording that comes out spotless because he cares.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:32 PM

Quote:

People are people and mistakes are going to be made. But yeah, It sucks to hear stuff like that roll out of $20394820394204.00 studios, when a kid in his garage can produce a recording that comes out spotless because he cares.

this is sad but true
Old 12-22-2003, 06:42 AM

...all Thomas Dolby fans, check this out : www.synsound.be
I was out there last week recording with Dan Lacksman who engineered "The Flat Earth"... when I noticed I brought my vinyl copy and got Dan to sign it for me. He's a great storyteller and told me some funny stuff about the album...for instance, "Hyperactive" was actually not intended for the album, but was originally written for Michael Jackson...hence the lama on the back of the album cover.