How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 11-07-2022, 01:59 AM

Default Re: NEW -> Pro Tools | Carbon Pre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I had to use Carbon to record one guitarist with 4 mics. Straight through, no backing tracks, dsp mode on for the channels. The talkback was terrible (noisy AF!), the delay was terrible (is there an echo in here?), mic gain was lacking (not even using ribbons! KM56 and KM84 mics), the stability was terrible. Forced a firmware upgrade hoping it'd help. It didn't.
That was last year. Swore never again.

True HDX and even native were/are much better.
Glad it works out for you but it was a garbage experience for me.
I'm not disputing that there are some serious and unresolved issues with sync on the Carbon and/or hybrid engine, the TB mic is a joke, and as for gain problems, I guess if you are used to 70-80 dB of gain from outboard pres, you will be disappointed. But I am interested in what the problems were in this session - in particular, where was the delay coming from? Any native guitar/amp sim or VI will have some delay with Carbon, as AVB is lousy for this compared with TB or good USB, but it sounds like you were doing a live recording of acoustic guitar or an amp - so was there delay monitoring in the headphones? That just shouldn't happen with AAX-DSP plugs on Carbon, not more than a couple of milliseconds.
I know you know your way around HDX and PT, but something weird was happening here. There's definitely some faffing about needed to make sure the right paths through the Carbon are going though the DSP, especially if you have Aux sends in the picture.

Dominic
Old 11-07-2022, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I’m sure that is super helpful for the people who have shelved their Carbon interfaces and HDX rigs due to acknowledged issues and bugs.
Except of course this thread is not about, OR only for those who have had issues..
And in context I am sure it is in fact helpful to get the entire picture of Carbon experiences from people who have actually had those experiences, good or bad ,,, as opposed to only hearing from those who have had issues. Because a one sided only, skewed perspective, is in fact, what is not helpful

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 11-07-2022 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I had to use Carbon to record one guitarist with 4 mics. Straight through, no backing tracks, dsp mode on for the channels. The talkback was terrible (noisy AF!), the delay was terrible (is there an echo in here?), mic gain was lacking (not even using ribbons! KM56 and KM84 mics), the stability was terrible. Forced a firmware upgrade hoping it'd help. It didn't.
That was last year. Swore never again.

True HDX and even native were/are much better.
Glad it works out for you but it was a garbage experience for me.
That is a shame and would no doubt sour me also
I do wonder what was actually going on ? Or if perhaps there was some defect in your unit ?

I only ask because for example here is a demo I did for my new acoustic guitar, using 3 mics, a pair of ribbons and an FET LDC. Now granted the ribbons are actually phantom powered and did still require the gain to be up up at 3/4 or more..but all the mic tracks were in fact synced in my HPs when I set up levels, and also when I went to mix...

https://youtu.be/DSAkPiNZ_Z8

Then here is an example of using the DSP while tracking and then dubbing in the electric in between vocal phrases. Again with no delay issues in my HP's at all ,,, so other than my own playing timing,, the Carbon performed sans issue.

https://youtu.be/XF5IWDuI8as

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 11-07-2022 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-09-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
But I am interested in what the problems were in this session - in particular, where was the delay coming from? Any native guitar/amp sim or VI will have some delay with Carbon, as AVB is lousy for this compared with TB or good USB, but it sounds like you were doing a live recording of acoustic guitar or an amp - so was there delay monitoring in the headphones? That just shouldn't happen with AAX-DSP plugs on Carbon, not more than a couple of milliseconds.
Acoustic guitar. No plugins at all. I couldn't believe the issues -- which is why I reset the Carbon to factory-shipped firmware and then had it reload the newest firmware (as it does when opening Pro Tools.)
And still the problem was not solved.
We soldiered on (as it wasn't necessary for the player to hear back anything -- just told him to lose the cans and I'd visually cue him) but it was troubling.
And my KM84 (properly strapped for impedance) and KM56 mics don't need much gain. Could that one unit have been faulty -- sure. But I couldn't swap it out for another one (wasn't my studio.) I expected DSP mixer performance like my usual system and didn't get it. Really couldn't have been a simpler session.
Old 11-10-2022, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Acoustic guitar. No plugins at all. I couldn't believe the issues -- which is why I reset the Carbon to factory-shipped firmware and then had it reload the newest firmware (as it does when opening Pro Tools.)
And still the problem was not solved.
We soldiered on (as it wasn't necessary for the player to hear back anything -- just told him to lose the cans and I'd visually cue him) but it was troubling.
And my KM84 (properly strapped for impedance) and KM56 mics don't need much gain. Could that one unit have been faulty -- sure. But I couldn't swap it out for another one (wasn't my studio.) I expected DSP mixer performance like my usual system and didn't get it. Really couldn't have been a simpler session.
Thanks for the clarification. Very odd. Sounds like a software/firmware problem rather than a hardware one.

Dominic