Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-16-2014, 03:54 PM

Default MIDI editing midi merging multiple tracks.

Hi guys

I have been transferring some unfinished projects across from Sonar to PT11 since I moved to Mac and PT is now my main daw

All audio tracks import as I would expect but not my midi tracks

In sonar my midi was all in one track as I had consolidated it before export but once I import it into PT11 it shows on multiple tracks.

For example a midi drum track used with ssd 4 all my verse may be on one track then the chorus parts on another but in sonar it was all on one track.
Or
For example on another midi drum track all notes apart from the corespondent note for my crash cymbal hits will be on one track and the cymbal hits will be on another.

In sonar I would have just been able to blend the midi buy dragging the tracks on top of each other and it would just keep all the notes on the one track but in PT 11 if I do this it will delete the part I have dragged on to and replace them with what's just been moved.

What I am trying to do is get it all on one track with out just sending all the midi parts to one output as I like to edit all parts in one track.

Any ideas how I can do this and work with just one track ?

I thought with midi merg on I would be able to just layer them / drag them on top of each other but this is not the case.

If it was just sections I coukd split them up and drag them to one track but when it's parts like crashes in sections I can't do this.

I can grab some screen prints tomorrow when I am at my daw but not at the studio right now.

Thanks to all in advance.

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB ram
Adams A77x
UAD Quad Thunderbolt Satellite
Old 12-16-2014, 04:53 PM

Default Re: MIDI editing midi merging multiple tracks.

Yeah, there are some things to get used to. The MIDI regions in the Edit window are treated much more like audio regions.
If you copy one track's information, and then go to the next track and select "Paste Special"... You should be able to merge from there.
I hope that helps
Old 12-16-2014, 05:56 PM

In Pro Tools, when you export MIDI, you are presented with a dialog box where you can choose 'multitrack' or 'single track'. I think there must be a similar setting in Sonar when you export your MIDI tracks, that would specify that they export as a single track instead of many. I believe that would be the fastest solution.

If that doesn't work, then you can delete material from one MIDI (or Instrument) track and merge it with another as follows:
1. In the "Source Track", select the material you want to move and 'Cut' it.
2. In the "Destination Track", using the Selector tool, position the cursor where you want to place the material.
3. Right-click, and select 'Merge'.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdugan View Post
In Pro Tools, when you export MIDI, you are presented with a dialog box where you can choose 'multitrack' or 'single track'. I think there must be a similar setting in Sonar when you export your MIDI tracks, that would specify that they export as a single track instead of many. I believe that would be the fastest solution.

If that doesn't work, then you can delete material from one MIDI (or Instrument) track and merge it with another as follows:
1. In the "Source Track", select the material you want to move and 'Cut' it.
2. In the "Destination Track", using the Selector tool, position the cursor where you want to place the material.
3. Right-click, and select 'Merge'.
It's called type 0 or type 1 MIDI. Type 1 uses separate tracks for each instrument and type 0 uses one track that has everything on it. Sonar can export MIDI as either (at least it used to in Sonar 8).

QAPLA!