Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2009, 06:05 PM

Default Beginner's midi drum kit

Any recommendations for a beginner(cheaper) electronic/midi drum kit, with maybe a few dual zone pads? I have a yamaha dd-55, but it doesn't cut it.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Beginner's midi drum kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
this is a pretty good price and an ok set.

Alesis DM5 Pro Kit Electronic Drum Set
Thanks for the link. I did like my SR16 back in the day. Does the DM5 support dual zone? I didn't see that specifically. I plan to use Stike instead of any 'kit brain'.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:01 PM

I got the Alesis USB Pro Drum Kit, Dual Zone, with Surge Cymbals, I love it, I stopped using Strike, instead, I got KitCore Deluxe, it's just 90 bucks, and it sounds great, you can mix and match from different kits, for instance, Matt Sorum's Kit and Snare, with John Tempesta Toms, and Cameron's cymbals, or whatever you like. it can also be bussed to separate tracks, that you can edit with their own effects, I've gotten great results so far with the Alesis kit, it takes a little bit of patience at first to achieve the proper velocity and other parameters, but it's great. and the kit is not to expensive either.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:26 AM

+1 kitcore
Old 10-13-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
well if you are planning to use Strike you could just get a cheap acoustic drum set and trigger it with Ddrum pro triggers and run them to the Alesis Trigger IO and into Strike. And if noise is an issue you could get mesh heads, then you will have the superior playability of a real set and the quiet levels of an electric. Pluse makes some really cheap sets, they dont sound great but that doesnt really matter if you are triggering. Just another option.
That would be cool, but I am moving soon and will have to downsize all gear in the new smaller studio unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylv64 View Post
I got the Alesis USB Pro Drum Kit, Dual Zone, with Surge Cymbals, I love it, I stopped using Strike, instead, I got KitCore Deluxe, it's just 90 bucks, and it sounds great
Thanks. I checked out the Alesis kit...seems like it may be the ticket. I like Strike a lot, so KitCore Deluxe would have to be worth it.