Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 07-27-2021, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Is Clean My Mac X ok to use?

Knock Knock is good.

https://objective-see.com/products/knockknock.html
Old 07-27-2021, 06:47 AM

I use the freeware AppCleaner to remove accompanying files when I trash something in the Applications folder.
https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

In the About This Mac... utility, the Storage pane can give some useful but highly general information.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:52 AM

i run the free version of CCleaner for Mac on all my computers once a month. clear caches, temp files, etc... never had any problems with it.

i too have used Onyx in the past, but i perfer CCleaner's GUI.

hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:20 PM

Just circling back.

CMM is a great tool, I feel the people who have had bad experiences with it have maybe misunderstood, or misused it. It’s amazing for quick ram and cache cleaning for those who don’t have the understanding, or can’t be bothered to type out a terminal command.

I use it every day before I start work and during work when things start to slow down. When removing applications it will sometimes miss .plist or receipt files, but that’s where Funter comes in handy, it’s a free directory search tool that scans every file for your term. After running an uninstall pass with CMM I’ll find the developer name and search for that in Funter which brings up the remaining dregs.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:45 PM

My experience with CleanMyMac is from some years back, but it resulted in my dreading any and all applications of this kind. In my opinion they are snake oil. The only thing they do is make you feel good, but they can most certainly do harm. And with a fragile application like PT, I think the risks are even bigger. I also found it troublesome to get rid of. And they have very agressive marketing.

IMO, with a solid installation of correct version of OS and apps, and no bad practises, there should be no need for these "cleaners" on a mac. I also used Onyx for many years, fine app, but it's really just a sort of extension of System Preferences with tools to set options and do "Terminal stuff".

I use a very nice little app called DaisyDisk now and then to get a quick overview of what's taking up space on my drives. It quickly lets me see, for example "oh, I forgot to delete that big library from the plugin I demo'ed" or "wow lots of movies that I no longer want". Things like "Cleaners" never would do. There's a demo. (If you want to try it on OSX 10.9 or earlier, there are "legacy versions" on their support page.)

But as everyone says, first and foremost, you must have a solid backup regime on separate disks. If you don't, whatever else you do doesn't matter.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:15 PM

Ive personally never had a drama with it.
There is also an IGNORE window included within in its preferences where you can include any apps you want it to ignore from its scanning to ensure those files wont be touched.
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's
Old 08-04-2021, 04:33 PM

Been using it for almost two years, on three different machines. No issues at all, and definitely no issues with PT.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:31 PM

ONYX is the ONLY thing that touches any of My Macs... all 12 of them!
It keeps them running flawlessly. I have used it well over 15 years and never ever had a problem.
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
Oh and it's FREE ( but once you tried it you should donate to them).
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.