Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Duet & Pro Tools | Quartet

Old 04-05-2018, 08:16 AM

Default Avid Pro Tools Duet not recognized by Firmware Updater or Pro Tools I/O Control Panel

Hey guys,

I'm a bit frustrated. I just bought a black duet on offer and thought I made a good deal since the AD converters sound amazing. However I'm reconsidering it since I'm unable to update the firmware ( I'm on version: 0.2.63 right now) through Mac OS or Windows 8.1. On Mac the updater doesn't recognize my Duet and on Windows it starts the updater, reboots the interface but doesn't seem to update since I'm still on 2.63 after the reboot.

The drivers I downloaded for Mac say they support 10.13 but they seem to have been updated last in 2015 which is confusing. Have they actually been updated or not? It gets even weirder because the PT IO control app works on both Windows and Mac. But I'd still like to update the firmware since sleep-mode is giving me bugs and I'd like to be future-proof.

Please help. I'm reconsidering a refund...

Edit: Here are my specs

iMac 2013 i5
Mac High Sierra 10.3.4
Pro Tools Duet
Ableton 10
Pro Tools 12

Last edited by werner44; 04-05-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Firmware updater doesn't recognize Avid Pro Tools Duet

Where are you getting these firmwares from?
From here:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...uartet-Drivers

Latest is (for Mac)
Driver: 2.10.2
Firmware: 2.66

Don't worry about the 2015. Just means the drivers in 2015 still work with 10.13. They were retested with the new macOS and nothing needed to be changed.

What driver version is currently installed on the Mac?
Is the Duet directly connected to the computer? (not through a USB hub)
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire HD10 + Max11, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.5 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 04-05-2018, 09:02 AM

Yes, from the Avid Page. I tried multiple USB slots and all of them are the same. If they didn't work however I wouldn't be able to acess my Duet through the IO software either so I doubt that's the problem
I installed the latest PT IO software but as I said I can't update my firmware so I'm stuck on 2.63
Old 04-05-2018, 09:35 AM

Did you say "sleep mode" is giving you problems?

Sleepmode is never to be used ever on audio computers, especilly not with pro tools and interfaces. If you think updating firmwre will solve nything regarding sleepmode i can assure you it wont.

Never use sleepmode with your audio computer. Ever.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-05-2018, 09:36 AM

Not asking about the IO software. Asking about the driver. If you go to "About this Mac", System Report, Go to Software>Extensions and find your driver (it'll either start with Avid, Apogee, or just Duet). There should be a version number after that. That's the number I'm wondering about.

You've established you are on firmware 2.63 but there are three parts:
I/O software (you can find the version from opening it and do "About"), the driver, and then the firmware.

Also, just to ask the safe question, you did not have any software running using the interface when trying to do the firmware update? Pro Tools was closed, etc.
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire HD10 + Max11, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.5 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 04-05-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werner44 View Post
If they didn't work however I wouldn't be able to acess my Duet through the IO software either so I doubt that's the problem
By the way, this is not necessarily true. Many pieces of hardware can be used in normal mode but will fail a firmware update using the same connection for different reasons. Mostly because firmware update modes change the status of the device temporarily and there are often communication checks (so checking the timing of communication) in order to prevent the firmware update from accidentally bricking the device. USB hubs, long USB cables, unpowered hubs are often the culprit. If any of those things are in use, temporarily, for the purpose of doing a firmware update, change that (short usb cable, directly into the computer)
Old 04-05-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Not asking about the IO software. Asking about the driver. If you go to "About this Mac", System Report, Go to Software>Extensions and find your driver (it'll either start with Avid, Apogee, or just Duet). There should be a version number after that. That's the number I'm wondering about.

You've established you are on firmware 2.63 but there are three parts:
I/O software (you can find the version from opening it and do "About"), the driver, and then the firmware.

Also, just to ask the safe question, you did not have any software running using the interface when trying to do the firmware update? Pro Tools was closed, etc.
Hey thanks for the quick response guys.
It says the ProToolsDuetoveridedriver is version 1.0.0
I didn't find anything else related to Apogee or Avid / Duet

Edit: yes, the Duet is connected directly to the USB connectors ( not through a hub). I already tried the other ports though

Last edited by werner44; 04-05-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Did you say "sleep mode" is giving you problems?

Sleepmode is never to be used ever on audio computers, especilly not with pro tools and interfaces. If you think updating firmwre will solve nything regarding sleepmode i can assure you it wont.

Never use sleepmode with your audio computer. Ever.
It's not just sleepmode but also restarting the computer freezes up the display of my Duet. You can still use it though but it doesn't respond to the turning of the knob until you unplug it.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:26 PM

I see that the Duet is using the class compliant drivers which would explain the v1.0 on Mac.

Try this, grab the previous driver package version (package version 2.9.20) from the webpage I posted earlier. That has an update to 2.64 for firmware. According to that there is no 2.63 firmware version (2.64 was the first)

If you can get that to update, then try the update up to the next version (latest version)

Just to verify, this is the Avid-branded Duet (it says Avid on it)?
Also, in System Preferences>Security>General what does it say for "allow apps downloaded from"? That can halt installs.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:46 AM

I'm not sure what happened but after countless restarts and plugging in and out the Updater finally recognized my Duet and updated to 2.66.
Thanks guys!