Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 09-26-2009, 04:23 PM

Default Eleven Rack---Live Use in Effects Loop?

noob here. I'm looking for either an effects processor without distortion/amp sim, or one with those like the Eleven Rack. I've been looking in the $500 to $1000 range like the G-Major 2 (effects only). Not really interested in spending $2000 for an Axe-FX.

So, in just finding out about the Eleven Rack, my question is, should I decide that I ONLY want the delay, chorus, compressor, etc. effects from the Eleven Rack, because I like my existing wah, distortion pedal, and Carvin tone, how would I connect this 'in the loop' of my head/cab? I watched the videos and read the manual, but they just say to turn off cab/amp simulation and plug into the front of the amp. I would like to keep these types of effects, ie chorus, delay, compressor, etc. in the loop of the amp.

So, can I turn off the cab/amp/distortion, run my amp's send to the line in (Left or Right?) on the back of the Eleven Rack and the 'Output to Amp' (Right?) of the Eleven into the return of the amp? (My guitar amp has a 3-way +4,0,-10 switch in the effects loop.)

The reason I'm looking at the Eleven Rack is because it's 10 years newer than the aurally-unexciting 16-bit Pod Pro that I quit using years ago because it was too dull and compressed sounding, and I'm hoping the technology has evolved a lot since then. I don't really need an amp sim, but would welcome the extra amp tones if they prove roadworthy.

Thanks for all your expertise.

-fran
Old 09-28-2009, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack---Live Use in Effects Loop?

I am also very interested in hearing about this.

Agreed -- neither the video or the manual address using the ER in a loop of an amp.

Ideal setup would be

1) time based delays routed through amp's loop (send/return of amp loop)
2) stomp boxes routed through front of amp (amp input)
Old 09-28-2009, 04:48 PM

anybody?
Old 09-28-2009, 07:29 PM

Well I read the manual again, Pages 36 (italics) and page 80, and I'm pretty sure this can be done. Just feed the Send of the Amp's Effects loop to the Left Line in, then set the Output Volume level for whichever Output To Amp (front or back or both) that you're using. And plug that Output To Amp into the Return of your Amp. Of course, not knowing the lingo, I'm assuming the 'Output Volume Level' is the same thing as 'Level', ie -10, +4, etc.

Alternatively if you WANT to use just the power stage of your Amp with all of the Eleven Rack's goodies, ie amp simulations and effects, just turn off cab simulation and plug directly from 'Output To Amp' into the Amp's effects return. Make sure and adjust Output level.

Hopefully someone can confirm these 2 scenarios.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:45 PM

when you use the ER with a tube amp that has a built in effects loop, can you route time delays through the amp's effects loop and at the same time route the stomp boxes etc through the input (front) of the amp

Your can do this with the both the Axe-Fx -- and the GSP11101
Old 09-29-2009, 06:16 PM

I don't think they designed for that since there is just one signal chain; I think you'd need 2 for that or a way to move one of the inputs to another place in the chain.

I've ordered one, so I can let you know when I get it, but it'd be nice to get you those answers ahead of time.

I like the sound of the demos and samples I've heard, plus the ProTools software and the integration with the 11R. That was enough to sell me on it. But I'm not a giging or pro musician, so YMMV.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:50 AM
Avid

Frantick, I see no reason why the scenario you mentioned wouldn't work. You can route any of 11R's inputs through the amp/FX modeling. You could also make use of Eleven's FX loop and effectively get 2 FX signal chains. First you need to place the FX loop in one of the 2 middle positions (i.e., right before the amp or right after the amp). Then one signal chain could go in the guitar or line inputs and out the FX send. The other signal chain could go in the FX return and out the Output To Amp or main outs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantick View Post
So, can I turn off the cab/amp/distortion, run my amp's send to the line in (Left or Right?) on the back of the Eleven Rack and the 'Output to Amp' (Right?) of the Eleven into the return of the amp? (My guitar amp has a 3-way +4,0,-10 switch in the effects loop.)
Old 09-30-2009, 05:39 AM

Thanks Chris, I'll try that when I get my unit.

Congrats to your team.

-fran
Old 10-06-2009, 04:08 AM

Soooooo

what is the answer can you or can't you use the ER in the same manner that you can use an Axe-FX or a GSP1101 - time effects (through loop of tube amp) Stomp box effects (through front of tube amp).

I am getting ready to pul the trigger and if the ER cannot do the above -- for me it make more sense to spend a few hundred dollars more and just get the Fractal Standard and get true amp routing capability (and a hell of a lot more).

Just saying -- pretty basic functionality that gives you way more flexibility
Old 10-06-2009, 05:56 AM

You could use the 11R's effects, in the loop of your REAL amp, but you can't route some of the effects before the REAL amp input, and some in the REAL amp loop, which is what I'm guessing you're looking for.