Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 07-27-2021, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Ready to upgrade - which version of Pro Tools?

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realise that. Might be able to save a boatload of cash.

Has there been a standout Windows version of Pro Tools in the past year or two, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Old 07-27-2021, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
... Has there been a standout Windows version of Pro Tools in the past year or two, or am I barking up the wrong tree
Reading posts from Windows Members (who have way more experience and expertise than I), it seems like Pro Tools 2021 gets the thumbs-up

Appears that Mac users are the main ones “rolling back”

As previously mentioned, you can try the many PT versions available in Avid Download Center … but, for my minimal needs, 2021.6 and onwards!
Old 07-27-2021, 06:09 PM

Thanks again, 2021.6 it is. I can uninstall and attempt to run earlier versions if needs be.

Appreciate all the advice everyone.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks again, 2021.6 it is. I can uninstall and attempt to run earlier versions if needs be.

Appreciate all the advice everyone.
Curious to know how your install and updates went?

I’ve been using my PC with windows 10 and PT 11 for the last bunch of years, and it’s been working out well.

I’ve been thinking of buying a reinstatement code to jump me up to PT 12.

How has it been working on your windows 10? I think we have very similar systems, as mine is an older one, as well.

Plus, can you tell whether Your reinstatement code allowed you to keep the license for your older PT versions, as well?

Hope all went well… Thanks for your help!
Old 08-04-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kelly View Post
I’ve been using my PC with windows 10 and PT 11 for the last bunch of years, and it’s been working out well....
Looks like Tubthumper’s impressed so far:
https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=...2&postcount=11
Quote:
... PS I'm super surprised by Win 10 and PT 2021.3 - PT works pretty much as I expected, but it looks and feels better, I like the visual fade-in and-out of the dialog boxes and menus, very suave. And the Midi Editor now pops up under the Edit window - really convenient. Dark mode did my head in at first.
But Win 10 is wowing me, I have it on my 10 y/o old laptop and it's krap, slow - it's the laptop itself that's sluggish. On my music computer it's very snappy, looks great, Bing is a revelation, everything looks so much better, and runs "as quick as". Classy all 'round, which surprised me....

Quote:
...I’ve been thinking of buying a reinstatement code to jump me up to PT 12.
... Plus, can you tell whether Your reinstatement code allowed you to keep the license for your older PT versions, as well? ...
You lose/surrender the license you’re re-instating – but your subsequent (new - latest version) of Pro Tools license gives you access to most earlier versions via in the Avid Download Center: https://esd.avid.com/accountlink.aspx

If you can’t see what you want (if it’s earlier than Pro Tools 12.6) - get a free ASC Code (Case Number) from your Avid account and nominate which version you want -

Login to your Avid Master Account
Under “My Support Center” click on:
“Access the Support Center (Portal)”
Old 08-04-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:

I’ve been using my PC with windows 10 and PT 11 for the last bunch of years, and it’s been working out well.

I’ve been thinking of buying a reinstatement code to jump me up to PT 12.

How has it been working on your windows 10? I think we have very similar systems, as mine is an older one, as well.

Plus, can you tell whether Your reinstatement code allowed you to keep the license for your older PT versions, as well?

Hope all went well… Thanks for your help!

All is good post the upgrade Mr Kelly, I'm glad I went through the process, although it's taken a bit of time... I'm on holidays at the moment, and we have a lockdown happening here in Brisbane, Australia, so not much else to do anyway.

I'm assuming you'd still have access to PT 11 once you redeemed your reinstatement license, but unkJE would have a better idea about this than me.

Good luck, and BTW, I read somewhere that reinstatement licenses are getting harder to come by.... check out Sounds Easy here in Australia, that's where I got mine. You have the exchange rate differential in your favour if you buy in Aussie dollars.

PS, I had to upgrade the PC's RAM to 16 GB, I bought and installed a larger SSD and a newer (though second hand) graphics card - that made a significant difference in performance in PT and in Win 10.

Last edited by Tubthumper; 08-04-2021 at 06:08 PM. Reason: added info