Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 12-23-2014, 10:32 AM

Default Can't maximize PT 11 from taskbar

Well, this is the first time I've ever experienced this one. If I launch PT 11 all is good - but if I minimize it - I can't get it back - I have to close out PT and relaunch the session.

I'm on Win 8.1

Any ideas - no doubt it's a key stroke or two away from mu current state of intelligence.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Old 12-23-2014, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Can't maximize PT 11 from taskbar

I can expand it through the task manager - but there must be a way more elegant way to make this happen. Least i'm thinking.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:17 PM

You should not have any other programs running when Pro Tools is running...

If you don't have any other programs running, there is no need to minimize Pro Tools.

If Pro Tools is never minimized, there is no need to maximize it...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh

Last edited by Bill Denton; 12-23-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: I'm having a crappy day and it showed!
Old 12-23-2014, 07:06 PM

Can you Alt+Tab to it? If you Alt+Tab to it and the window doesn't maximize, try Ctrl+= (shortcut to show/hide the mixer) and see if it pops up.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
You should not have any other programs running when Pro Tools is running...

If you don't have any other programs running, there is no need to minimize Pro Tools.

If Pro Tools is never minimized, there is no need to maximize it...
This is a nice idea, but in the real world I have to have a Web browser, a Sound Library app of some kind and perhaps Excel and/or some manner of development tool(s). Granted I work in Mac OS not Windows so minimizing the Edit window is no issue. In Windows you have to minimize all of ProTools because the edit and mix windows live inside the ProTools shell (Unless it's changed since 10 on Windows 7 which was the last time I worked on a Windows machine). I think the Movie window is separate from the shell. Anyway, working with only ProTools open is not an option for my workflow.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
Anyway, working with only ProTools open is not an option for my workflow.
Or nearly anyone else's, BILL.

lol, Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
This is a nice idea, but in the real world I have to have a Web browser, a Sound Library app of some kind and perhaps Excel and/or some manner of development tool(s). Granted I work in Mac OS not Windows so minimizing the Edit window is no issue. In Windows you have to minimize all of ProTools because the edit and mix windows live inside the ProTools shell (Unless it's changed since 10 on Windows 7 which was the last time I worked on a Windows machine). I think the Movie window is separate from the shell. Anyway, working with only ProTools open is not an option for my workflow.
Sorry, but you don't get to choose how you want to run Pro Tools...the people who designed Pro Tools made that decision.

Maybe you'll get lucky and have no problems, but I wouldn't bank on it...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-23-2014, 10:06 PM

I've been working with ProTools every day this way since 2002. ProTools is full of problems, especially version 11. Looking at my system right now with all of these things open and the CPU meter in PT10HD is showing 5% usage.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:42 PM

Windows work-around:
Don’t minimize Pro Tools, if you know you can’t “get back”.

Instead of minimizing Pro Tools, hit the vertical Show Desktop button (lowest RHS of screen – on the RHS of Time). Navigate from there.

May you all arrive safely.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:46 PM

Shortcut is Win+D.