Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 07:57 AM

Default Control 24 Vs. Pro Control

Can someone please remind me what the differences and advantages of the Pro Control and the Control 24 controllers?

Thanks

Old 04-10-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Control 24 Vs. Pro Control

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=15337

Adam Miele
Pulse Music NYC
(212) 358-7900
[email protected]
[email protected]
Old 04-10-2007, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the reply. Here are some questions I am especially interested in.

Is the Pro Control just a controller or does it have preamps and if so what kind and are they on par with the Control 24. If there are inputs how many are there?

I know the Control 24 can connect to two interfaces but how many interfaces can be connected to the Pro Control?

Is there a difference in sound quality between the two units?

The Pro Control has add on boards that add to it's functionality but are those items relatively easy to control on the Control 24?

These are the kinds of things I am especially interested in.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Here are some questions I am especially interested in.

Is the Pro Control just a controller or does it have preamps and if so what kind and are they on par with the Control 24. If there are inputs how many are there?

ProControl is a control surface only no preamps.

Quote:

I know the Control 24 can connect to two interfaces but how many interfaces can be connected to the Pro Control?

They both connect to the host CPU via Ethernet. Check the Spec Sheet for D-Sub connectors. I don't have time to look it up for you.

Quote:

Is there a difference in sound quality between the two units?

Between the two monitor sections? Most likely yes. But that would be the only difference. You would have to compare them side by side in the same room with the same reference and same monitors to judge for yourself. BTW ProControl had an upgrade in the monitor section so you should be aware of that when looking for one.

Quote:

The Pro Control has add on boards that add to it's functionality but are those items relatively easy to control on the Control 24?

I don't think I understand what you are asking. Maybe you should read this:
Old 04-10-2007, 02:23 PM

One thing to bear in mind when choosing between the two is that the build quality of the Pro Control is MILES ahead of the C|24.

We had a C|24. Actually we've had 3. The first one had a continous 50Hz hum in the Ls and Rs speakers. Digi serviced/modified it - then it died and had to go back. Unfortunately the next two were not much better. Constant dead power supplies etc.
And unlike the Pro Control, the C|24 cannot be serviced in situ and must be shipped back to Digi's service centre every time it goes down, leaving your studio out of action (because you're wired into the pres/monitor section etc)
Don't get me wrong - I think we were unlucky and by the time we finally switched to an ICON, i'd really gotten used to the C|24 - but it was definitely built to a 'price'.
just my 2 shillings...
Old 04-10-2007, 02:54 PM

The power supplies are replaced on site ( by you) on the Control 24. The build quality is fine. I've had one supply go down in 3 years and Digi shipped me out a new power supply the next day. I rented a unit for that day it was out of commission. The Control 24 has been an excellent investment for my stage. If I were to sell one of my Control 24's I would get about $1200 less than I paid for it. Now divide $1200 by 700 (number of days that the room has been up and billing clients) and you get $1.71. That's how much a day it has cost me for the board. Now divide that by 8 hours a day and you get .21 cents an hour. Is it worth it, hell yes!!!
I have to agree that the Icons are very attractive, but for a small company make your money first, make clients aware of your services then as you make money buy an Icon and make payments.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the info from everyone. Unfortunately I don't have Icon money but I can dream!

This has done some clarification for me.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:43 PM

Well I think maybe Digi's hardware tech support is different in the UK. We definitely had 2 units go back to be exchanged/repaired. One other was indeed repaired on site (PSU). Like I say, I think we were unlucky...

Having said that, I do agree with dr sound that C|24 is worth the money, and remember at the time it came out there was nothing else that offered surround monitoring and built in pres for that price. With hindsight though I think we'd definitely have paid the extra for a pro control...