Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2022, 07:03 AM

Default Cursor filckering problem

Hello, I am new to Pro Tools and have a strange problem with mouse cursor inside edit window. Cursor is constantly switching back to arrow everytime it should show different cursor e.g. when using a smart tool and hovering over a clip. It shows hand for example but immediately turns back to arrow. The speed of switching back is somehow related to blinking sequence of big white time line cursor. I even found out that when I have another window opened like e.g. Color window it works fine until I have primary focus in that popup window. Once I click back to edit window it starts flickering again. I am on macOS Ventura.I tried it on my Windows laptop and seems to work fine there. Anyone encountered this behaviour? Thanks a lot.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Cursor filckering problem

I think it might be related to this:

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?...=Case+04514444

Open a case with Avid, mention your issue, the following case I opened might be related:

[Case : 04514444]
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 11-22-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreart View Post
Hello, I am new to Pro Tools and have a strange problem with mouse cursor inside edit window. Cursor is constantly switching back to arrow everytime it should show different cursor e.g. when using a smart tool and hovering over a clip. It shows hand for example but immediately turns back to arrow. The speed of switching back is somehow related to blinking sequence of big white time line cursor. I even found out that when I have another window opened like e.g. Color window it works fine until I have primary focus in that popup window. Once I click back to edit window it starts flickering again. I am on macOS Ventura.I tried it on my Windows laptop and seems to work fine there. Anyone encountered this behaviour? Thanks a lot.
I'm having the same issue
Old 11-23-2022, 07:30 PM

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem. I just bought a Mac mini Ventura in attempts to upgrade from my Windows setup. I have never had the problem of the cursor not changing properly in smart tool mode. It's flickering in and out of the proper smart tool mode and keeps defaulting back to the pointer. I talked to the people at Apple and I tried every suggestion. I tried using a logitech mouse that plugs in and that did not change anything. I actually feel seasick from watching that cursor flicker. Something has to solve this issue!
Old 11-23-2022, 07:37 PM

Dude! i just got off the phone with Avid support and they told me Mac Ventura 13.0.1 is not compatible with pro tools!! Dang. I have to downgrade to Monterey.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makisound View Post
Dude! i just got off the phone with Avid support and they told me Mac Ventura 13.0.1 is not compatible with pro tools!! Dang. I have to downgrade to Monterey.
Thanks for your info. Do you also have the same cursor problem on your system?
Old 11-24-2022, 08:44 AM

Yes the cursor problem is the same. Flickering in smart tool mode. Since I just bought this Mac and it came with Ventura, I cannot downgrade to Monterey. So I guess I wait for Avid to be compatible with it.... Frustrating.
Old 11-25-2022, 04:56 AM

That's unfortunate. Honestly, I don't expect an official Ventura support from Avid anytime soon.
Old 12-28-2022, 12:23 AM

Ventura compatibility was released today! Cursor is still flickering...

Mac Studio M1 ultra running Ventura
Old 12-28-2022, 09:46 AM

Same here. Upgraded to Ventura after Avid notification yesterday and now my cursor is flickering as described above.

2020 iMac 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9/ Studio 2022.12 / Ventura