Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 06-28-2013, 08:58 PM

Default Lost iLok, can I transfer license to another one?

I seem to have lost my iLok with my PT 10 license after taking the the laptop on the road to use some down time for editing. I have another iLok that I bought to try out the test software but the iLok site seems to suggest that I need both iLoks together to transfer from one to the other and it will not allow the same license on multiple iLoks.

Any thoughts on how I can deal with this and still get work done this weekend?

Thanks!

CV
Old 06-28-2013, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Lost iLok, can I transfer license to another one?

Do you have "Zero Downtime" and have you opted in to TLC with Pace?

https://www.ilok.com/zdt.html;jsessi...0b8c96f4c53eaf

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-28-2013, 09:26 PM

No. I've been on the iLok web site and am just getting up to speed on that. I was unaware of the 30.00/yr. "insurance" program but the only option I see now is the 130.00 charge for instant coverage.

Is that really my only option? Seems somewhat excessive.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:33 PM

Keep in mind that this only gives you a couple of weeks with temp auths. You still must negotiate with the individual software vendors for permanent replacements. This is why an insurance policy covering your ilok is critical. You must protect your ilok as you would any piece of valuable hardware.

If it's only Pro Tools that you have lost, you may be better off to download the Demo while you figure this out.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-28-2013, 09:33 PM

Actually your options span from the license has gone for good to begging Avid to replace the license for you.

The license is on the iLok, there is no other copy of it anywhere to install. That is the whole point of these dongles. You have to guard that thing like, well it has the license on it. And insure it for loss via your personal or company loss/theft policy if you want to. Pace ZDT "insurance" only provides a temporary license reissue to allow you to get problems sorted out. This is all explained on their web site.

Pace/iLok deal with broken or dead iLoks they can check the license was on the dead iLok and reissue it to you. They don't replace lost licenses, you have to beg Avid to do that--Avid is under no obligation to do so. A police report of a theft etc. usually helps. Just lost by you... mmm good luck, they may help. Phone them and see.

Darryl

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-28-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 PM

OK, I've been looking at the iLok site more extensively. I do have a spare iLok. Can I transfer my PC 10 license to the other iLok without all the cost?

Looks like I should be able to transfer between iLoks. Here's the quote from the web site.

"You can move licenses in one of two ways: You can drag and drop or you can use the “move license” button.

To drag and drop, you will need to select the iLok that contains the license you want to move, the source iLok, in the left hand column. Next, select the license you wish to move from the table on the right. Click and drag the license you wish to move to the new iLok, the destination iLok. Confirm the move in the popup. For obvious reasons, the source and destination iLoks need to be registered to the same account and both plugged in for the operation to be successful.

To use the buttons, you will need to select the iLok that contains the license you want to move, the source iLok, in the left hand column. Next, select the license you wish to move to the new iLok, the destination iLok; if necessary, click “Show Details” at the bottom of the ILM screen. Click the “Activate” link in the details pane, select the destination iLok from the locations list, and click “Activate”. Confirm the move in the popup."
Old 06-28-2013, 09:57 PM

Did you read my post?

You have lost your iLok with the license on it. Then that license has gone. It is a non-licence. It is bereft of life. It has snuffed it. Ceased to be. It is a non-license...

Got it?

You can only transfer between two iLoks when you have them both in your possession working and connected to a computer. You don't, so that does not apply to you. Did you not read the bit that said "both plugged in..." In the text you just cut and pasted?

Your options are..

To give up and never use the license again.
Call Avid and beg them to give you a replacement license (work hours, may take some time to sort out, and you may need to purchase an ASC unless you have some free ones left from your purchase).
Go and buy another license
Contact your loss coverage insurance company and ask them what you should do (you typically would have needed to list this on a policy).... We'll assume this is really not an option.

All Pace/iLok can do is get you a temporary replacement license, which you will have to pay them to do, but that will expire. If this is a time critical emergency for you then going and buying a new boxed version (or Eleven Rack bundle etc.) at a local Avid retailer may be a valid option.

Darryl

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-28-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginridge View Post
I seem to have lost my iLok with my PT 10 license after taking the the laptop on the road
I hope you have good insurance policy...
Old 06-28-2013, 10:27 PM

Actually, I had not seen your post before sending mine so sorry about the confusion. Yes, this is a major pain in the ass and is at a critical time. I am quickly realizing that I am screwed and need to figure out the most appropriate and timely way to get back up and running so I appreciate your feedback.

I did see the "both plugged in" on the 1st section, but since it wasn't mentioned in the second one, I had hoped there might be a way.

Can't afford the total replacement so I'll call and beg Avid for mercy. In the mean time, I may try out the PT 11 demo and see if I can make that work with my 10 files.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:30 PM

J,

Sadly, not through iLok but now that you mention it, I do have a tech rider on my road insurance for computers....