Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2022, 11:46 AM

Default Change all automation lane displays simultaneously?

This is something that's bugged me since forever - I suspect there's no way to do it, but I'm asking just in case I've missed something:

Using the automation lane display you can simultaneously display multiple automation lanes for a track while the primary track display remains on waveform, or volume, or whatever. Great, BUT, what if you have say 10 tracks and you want to display for example an automation lane for Send A on *all* of them (or more to the point, Send A on one lane, and Send B on another lane). I see no way to switch all of them to the desired send simultaneously - of course I know that you can select them all and switch them all using shift-ctl on the primary track display (or use shift-ctl-opt-cmd and touch a desired parameter on your control surface), but that doesn't work for the automation lanes, meaning you have to switch each track's automation lane(s) one...at...a...time. No combination of modifiers seem to work for the automation lanes. Also, a track preset set to only load Track View doesn't seem to work (nor does importing only Track View in session data).

Here's a screen shot of an example with just three tracks - the first track displays what I want in the auto lanes, but there's no way to get the others to display the same data without changing them one at a time - this is fine for a few tracks, but if you've got 10 or 20 tracks in a group and want to see them all this is painful. Anyone got a way??
Attached Images
File Type: png autolanes.png (78.4 KB, 0 views)

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 12-09-2022, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Change all automation lane displays simultaneously?

+10000
I often work in custom immersive formats where I am using a ton of sends to automate panning and placement and opening each one individually to edit is a royal PITA.

I would love to see a keyboard shortcut/modifier to open a parameter in a drop down automation lane in the same way you can hold ctrl-cmd (Mac) and click on any control to open it in the main automation view overlayed over the waveform.

Maybe ctrl-shift-cmd-click? Adding option would do it across all selected tracks? Using shift in the main modifier combination would unfortunately make it hard to keep to the option/option-shift (do to all/do to all selected) convention, but I can't think of another easy, one-handed combination.

Ideally this would also work in EuCon in the same way you can currently hold ctrl-cmd and touch a fader or knob to open the automation view for that parameter.

EDIT: Just read your post again and of course ctrl-shift-opt-cmd is already used, can't believe I forgot that.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:07 PM

Select tracks, Ctrl+Option hit the + to show a lane, hit + again to add more visible lanes, hold Ctrl+option and change the lane type and all lanes in that slot for all selected tracks will change.

You can do just Option if you want all tracks (not just selected)

Ctrl+option+cmd if you want to click a control and have the TOP automation lane to change to that (the one that overlays the waveforms) for all tracks.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Select tracks, Ctrl+Option hit the + to show a lane, hit + again to add more visible lanes, hold Ctrl+option and change the lane type and all lanes in that slot for all selected tracks will change.
Doesn't this still require going through the pulldown menu to select what that drop-down automation lane will be? This can be cumbersome if it's a single plugin parameter in a plugin that has loads of parameters.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Doesn't this still require going through the pulldown menu to select what that drop-down automation lane will be? This can be cumbersome if it's a single plugin parameter in a plugin that has loads of parameters.
yes, for the multiple lanes you have to do the dropdown. For the top overlay you don't.
Old 12-09-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post

You can do just Option if you want all tracks (not just selected)

Ctrl+option+cmd if you want to click a control and have the TOP automation lane to change to that (the one that overlays the waveforms) for all tracks.

Thanks for that, and those are the standard modifiers, but they *don't* work to change multiple automation lanes' parameter display, they only work on the TOP track view - that's the issue. Try it; create 3 tracks, each with a couple sends in the same slots. Yes, you can select all, then shift-opt-click the Automation Lane disclosure button - from there you can indeed shift-opt-click the "+" button to add more lanes on all selected tracks, but you CAN'T change any of those lanes to a specific send on all selected tracks AT ONCE - at least I can't on my rig (or any rig I've been on).

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 12-09-2022, 02:56 PM

Maybe...

In the Shortcut window (SHIFT+START+K) (windows), there are a bunch of 'automation' related commands without a shortcut defined. If any of those can do what you are looking for, then just define your own shortcut in that shortcut window.

Open the shortcut window, type 'automation' in the search bar, and have a look.

Perhaps another one...
Can windows configurations be used to save away, the lane configurations you want to return to, when you initially have created them one...at...a...time

/T
Old 12-09-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkzzaJ View Post
Maybe...

Perhaps another one...
Can windows configurations be used to save away, the lane configurations you want to return to, when you initially have created them one...at...a...time

/T
Windows Configs can be handy, but I find it never works quite how I want it to.

I have 2 shortcuts using Window Configs via Memory Locations for CC Lane viewing in the MIDI Editor. Which works great.... except that it also recalls the Zoom as well. So on longer sessions, the clips roll off-screen sometimes and I have to find them again.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro