Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-28-2019, 05:48 AM

Default Dolby Media Producer Suite v2, Decoder, How to get audio to my SPK w HDX and MTRX rig

Hey guys.

Just a quick inquiry.

We have a 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos setup at the Uni I teach at with an HDX2 rig and an MTRX and I was wondering if the Dolby Media Decoder included in the Producer suite v2 would allow me to decode True HD + Atmos and get the audio routed to my speakers connected the MTRX using core audio...?

Do you setup a Aggregate I/O in Audio Midi setup to do that? I want to be able to QC my students encode of their Atmos mixes in True HD and DD+ with Atmos.

It seems the decoder only works as a core audio application and can hook up to Quicktime for video playback whilst its decoding the soundtrack with the decoder.

Also anyway to use this to play Blu Ray disc from the Mac with True HD and DD+ soundtracks with Atmos?

Many thanks
Old 08-01-2019, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Dolby Media Producer Suite v2, Decoder, How to get audio to my SPK w HDX and MTRX

Some updates here. Getting the Media producer suite in a couple of days but I did some preliminary test with coreaudio..

We have 2 HDX cards but only the first one shows up in coreaudio with 32in 32outs. So I had to connect the MTRX to the first card to get sound (it was hooked up to the 2nd HDX).

In the HDX menu of the coreaudio I could setup a speaker configuration of 7.1 and assign the speakers to the right output. All worked here, pink noise playing through each speaker correctly through the right path.
Then I opened an .mkv file with a 7.1 Tru Hd atmos mix embedded, plays fine but the channel allocation is completely wrong... centre channel is playing back through the Lsr speaker...

what the hell is going on? This makes no sense. Speakers are hook up to the smpte channel allocation path order... same order displayed in the Dolby renderer... even if I was playing a European movie with a different channel allocation standard, the centre channel would playback from the lsr channel...
Old 08-15-2019, 03:41 PM

Question Re: Dolby Media Producer Suite v2, Decoder, How to get audio to my SPK w HDX and MTRX

I'm also interested in playing back a Blu Ray disc, perhaps from an XBox One, on an Atmos system controlled by an Avid MTRX.

Have you made any headway on this??? The university I work for is installing a 9.2.4 system and we want to be able to watch Blu Ray and XBox games that have audio encoded for multichannel Atmos playback.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Dolby Media Producer Suite v2, Decoder, How to get audio to my SPK w HDX and MTRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsteeve View Post
Hey guys.

Just a quick inquiry.

We have a 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos setup at the Uni I teach at with an HDX2 rig and an MTRX and I was wondering if the Dolby Media Decoder included in the Producer suite v2 would allow me to decode True HD + Atmos and get the audio routed to my speakers connected the MTRX using core audio...?

Do you setup a Aggregate I/O in Audio Midi setup to do that? I want to be able to QC my students encode of their Atmos mixes in True HD and DD+ with Atmos.

It seems the decoder only works as a core audio application and can hook up to Quicktime for video playback whilst its decoding the soundtrack with the decoder.

Also anyway to use this to play Blu Ray disc from the Mac with True HD and DD+ soundtracks with Atmos?

Many thanks
The simpler way to do what you want is with Dante, provided that your MTRX has the basic 64 channel Dante card installed. Then you use Dante´s Virtual Sound Card to route core audio to the MTRX, either coming from the Dolby suite or any other app/media playback that uses core audio after decoding.

We use this method for all things core audio in our studio to route audio to the MTRX from the MAC, although in our case we skipped the Dante Virtual Sound Card as we have a Focusrite Red4 that handles Thunderbolt from the MAC and converts to Dante.

Then in the Audio MIDI setup you just configure your channel layout outputs and that´s it.

I find this method more easy that to use the HDX in aggregate mode, as this also possibilitates using the HDX cards simultaneously with core audio if needed.

https://www.audinate.com/products/so...tual-soundcard

https://www.audinate.com/products/da...o-dante-module

Hope it helps

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3