Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-08-2013, 01:05 PM

Default Unable to activate my owned Avid software

My version of Strike 1.5 hasn't been working lately in new Protools sessions. I was getting DAE message 7054. For the past 3 months I have used a workaround by opening an older session with Strike already loaded, and then started my session from there.

Today i had some time so i tried to fix the problem. What i mess I made. First I used the Strike Content Locator. It gave me a message that the problem was fixed. But it wasn't and the same DAE 7054 still appeared. So next I decided to re-install Strike, so I went to the Avid site and downloaded a new copy of Strike 1.5 which, of course, I already own. I installed that.

When i started Protools, i was told that I needed to buy Strike and then load it into my ilok.

My actual problem is that I haven't found a link at either site that will simply let me email either Avid or ilok (or both), to let them know they need to re-activate this copy of Strike I already own. The only thing i have found at Avid is KnowledgeBase or a costly programs to buy tech support. I have a feeling that Avid thinks i need to figure this out for myself, but truly, i don't even no where to begin, since I can't find any way to contact them. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:09 PM

Question Re: Unable to activate my owned Avid software

What version of Pro Tools are you running?

If it's Pro Tools 10.0 (or higher) then it's likely that you'll just need to download and run the Strike 1.5.1.15293 installer found here. That will update the plug-in to a compatible version.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Unable to activate my owned Avid software

yah that was one of the problems. I finally got through to Avid customer service, and thankfully they gave me a gratis support code, which resulted in a 30 minute tech support repair. I had no idea that, these days, the tech support people can have total access to my computer, take control of my mouse, keyboard and folder structure, and simply fix the issue with no input from me.

The experience left me with two wishes. First, that Avid would make their website a bit less opaque, and not so difficult simply to find a phone number to talk to somebody about getting to use my own registered software. And second, am I alone in longing for the so-called "good old days" when software installation, copy protection, and usage, wasn't yet a veritable labyrinth, and we users could fix our own computers through a free phone call to tech support? Reminds me a lot of trying to fix my old Volkswagen bug versus fixing my new Prius.

One bit of advise for others. My problem originated from the fact that Apple simple upgrades the operating system by itself.Apparently, one of those invisible upgrades altered some small bit of my file structure, and it placed some crucial Strike files, in a place where Strike couldn't find them. I advise all Pro Tools users to turn off this "feature" in the mac system preferences.

And a big "bravo" to Avid's hands-on tech support.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:25 AM

Post Re: Unable to activate my owned Avid software

Glad to hear you got the problem sorted out.

Technology is a funny thing in that it adds improvements in many ways but comes at a cost (one of the biggest being the increased dependance which can become a crisis when it fails). I share your experience - my first car was a VW Bug and I could push start it myself or repair it with a new rubber band. ;-) My current car with all of its advanced features... not so much.

Our Optimization Guides do recommend disabling Software Updates (and doing them manually as needed). That should prevent unexpected changes.

Always looking at ways to improve the customer experience, so I will pass your comments on to CS Management.

Thanks!