Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-14-2005, 12:57 AM

Default New Dolby Encoder:Any Users?

Hi All,
There were posts several weeks ago for the Neyrinck Sound,Code Dolby Encoder/Decoder.
Has anyone actually started using it? I'm am seriously considering buying it and wanted any objective opinions you can offer.
Also any new on the DTS version?

All the best,
Mitch

Mitch

MacPro 2.44 8 Core

Mac OSX 10.10.5
PT 12.7
HD Native
SyncHD I/O
HD I/O
MIDI I/O
C24
Aja LiHi
Surround Setup
Old 11-15-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: New Dolby Encoder:Any Users?

I have used it on a couple of DVD projects where the DVD's have gone double platinum and Gold. The band was very happy with the encoder quality and I could drop in when I did changes to the mix. All from within Tools, far to cool a toll not to have.
Best Regards
Simon L.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Neyrinck

The SoundCode For Dolby Digital plug-in suite started shipping on November 4. Demo downloads are available on the Neyrinck website.

A DTS version is in development, but no firm date has been announced yet.

Paul Neyrinck
www.neyrinck.com
Old 11-21-2005, 02:12 PM

It's an excellent package which takes the guesswork out of the whole Dolby encoding thing. You can preview your encode in real time so you can check if metadata is having an adverse effect. And you can try different downmix parameters to see how they effect the mix, and so on.

Plus, on a fast G5 it's SUPER FAST. I've encoded 90 minutes of 5.1 @ 448 kbps in less than 30 minutes on a dual 2.7 G5. One third of real time!

As Simon said, too cool not to have if you do this sort of thing,
Old 11-21-2005, 03:00 PM

I use it almost everyday.
As any other encoder/decoder there is a slight learning curve to understand how it works. READ THE MANUAL before using it.
However by far this is the easiest and most straight foward Dolby encoder/decoder system I've ever used. Did I mention it is faster than realtime? I love thit and would highly recommend it.
Azuolas
Old 11-21-2005, 04:45 PM

What about the timecode features? Can you reliably deliver this to a DVD authoring program and make use of the timecode to ensure perfect sync?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:10 PM

So far no problems. Whats great is that it has both AS and realtime versions. So you can play the realtime on against picture to check the sync. It does every possible dolby digital format with exception of dolby e (which dolby does not license to the software developers yet). Otherwise a killer plug for surround and film work.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:43 PM

Quote:
It does every possible dolby digital format with exception of dolby e
Dolby E is a mezzanine compression scheme. It allows for the transmission of up to eight (8) AC3 encoded channels over a single AES pair. A software version of Dolby E would allow the output of a Dolby E stream from Pro Tools (or anything else for that matter) to a single digital audio track on an external recorder via AES, or to load in a Dolby E stream and break it up into separate tracks.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:10 AM

Hi All,
I've been waiting to hear from you all.
Thanks Simon but I wouldn't be using it for DVD-Audio but to prepare soundtracks for Film/TV.
So the sync issues are vital for me.
I'm just tired of sending my stuff out and depending on the DVD Authoring facility to do the work.
I like to be hands on. If I understand you correctly after you have encoded your mix you can view it in sync within your PT session.
Even better you can actually preview the mix...This sounds fantastic. Until now I have had to use A-Pac. Burn a DVD, take it home, listen to it, come back, make corrections etc.

I see it also supports DolbyEX. But on the website it says "Supports metadata extensions including indication of Dolby Surround EX"
Please define.

Is it working in PT 7?

It sounds excellent. I'll download a demo and check it out.

Thanks for you help.
Mitch

Mitch

MacPro 2.44 8 Core

Mac OSX 10.10.5
PT 12.7
HD Native
SyncHD I/O
HD I/O
MIDI I/O
C24
Aja LiHi
Surround Setup
Old 11-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Neyrinck

Quote:
Hi All,
So the sync issues are vital for me. I'm just tired of sending my stuff out and depending on the DVD Authoring facility to do the work.
SoundCode supports writing and reading the "Normal+Timecode" AC3 file format. It uses the PT session frame rate and audio timeline information when encoding, so it is very simple to set up. The AudioSuite decoder can import the data stream back into the timeline in a stereo track and will spot it using the timecode information so you can verify its timecode is correct.

Quote:
I like to be hands on. If I understand you correctly after you have encoded your mix you can view it in sync within your PT session. Even better you can actually preview the mix...This sounds fantastic. Until now I have had to use A-Pac. Burn a DVD, take it home, listen to it, come back, make corrections etc.
After using the AudioSuite decoder to import the data stream into a stereo track, you can instantiate a stereo-to-5.1 realtime decoder on that track. The realtime decoder, similar to the Dolby 564, has controls to simulate different listening environments including stereo downmixing.

Quote:
I see it also supports DolbyEX. But on the website it says "Supports metadata extensions including indication of Dolby Surround EX." Please define.
Dolby Surround EX is Dolby's system for matrix encoding a sixth rear center channel within 5.1 discrete channels. They sell a box that takes 6.1 channels in and outputs 5.1 channels. If, then, you Dolby Digital encode a Surround EX encoded 5.1 stem using SoundCode, you can set the Surround EX flag in the data stream which tells the consumer decoder "hey, these 5.1 channels have the extra Surround EX channel in them so if you are capable of Surround EX decoding, do it."

Quote:
Is it working in PT 7?
It was tested and qualified using Pro Tools 7. In fact, Pro Tools 7 is recommended because of its new RTAS capabilities that replaced HTDM.

Paul Neyrinck
www.neyrinck.com