Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2022, 02:16 AM

Default Xpand2 Not syncing mid-track

If I record a couple of instrument tracks with Xpand2 combined with other audio tracks and a click track, and play from beginning, things are in sync and sound fine- as soon as I move my cursor within the region after the song start... every thing is out of sync and it is very time consuming to keep starting at the head of the song. Is there something I am missing?
Thx
Old 12-05-2022, 03:30 AM

Default Re: Xpand2 Not syncing mid-track

Is this one of the 'loops' within the plugin or and tempo synced LFO from a keyboard patch?

Either way, you might find the easiest thing is to Commit the MIDI/Instrument track to audio? Create a new Audio track (probably stereo) and drag the MIDI clip(s) to the audio track. Hopefully, every is synced up and you won't have to worry about it again?

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 12-05-2022, 03:48 AM

Thank you Stephen- I have been doing that but when using the loops in Xpand2, I like to have control of the parameters all the way to the mix. Example - If there are finger snaps and I commit to an audio track I no longer have the ability to mix the parameters within xpand2- and may lose that sound after adding other audio tracks, compress and going to the mix. I have done this a few times but super baffled at why this just doesn't stay in sync as a separate track amongst other audio tracks- I've been looking for the answer now for a long time and yes the quick fix is to flatten into an audio track. It seems as though PT can't sync lock to the click track with an instrument track.
Thanks for your response- Cheers and Happy Holidays
Old 12-05-2022, 09:22 PM

Change the edit window to grid mode and set your grid to 1 bar. As long as you start on a 1, the loops will be in time.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-06-2022, 05:05 AM

Thanks Jimmy: You've actually recited the problem- If I'm in grid mode and start the track at the beginning, all is well and synced. If I need to address a recorded segment halfway in to the region all instrument tracks lose sync. My issue is to have a sensible feel for the track mixed and synced for other musicians to overdub- meaning... somewhere later on in a solo section or the like. I continually have to start at bar #1 and wait- its a pain and because my speed on PT is improving, this little diddy slows me down with great frustration.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:26 AM

If you happen to have one continuous note event triggering the loop try creating a note event at the beginning of each separate song section. Each being the duration of the full loop/effect.

For example, I have a 4 bar swell type effect I trigger at certain sections. The the peak of the swell occurs after 2 bars then fades the next two bars.

To trigger and keep the effect in sync at each section I create a single 4 bar note event at each of those section/marker points. Or you can use the split MIDI note function at each point if you have one continuous note.

If I were to trigger the sound at any other point the swell would be out of sync. Or not trigger at all.

Not sure if that helps.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 01-02-2023 at 11:38 AM.