Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 11-28-2022, 11:12 AM

Default HDX rig/PT Studio software: will PT see the HD|IO?

As above. Obviously the DSP wouldn't be available, but would the HD|IO still function as a CoreAudio device, or is the Ultimate package required to have a driver?

[edit: I have a PT Ultimate perpetual license and pay for the support package. So if I switched to Studio, I would think my system would still work as it is and would only stop when I needed to update something. Wouldn’t that be the case?

Last edited by melodydetective; 11-28-2022 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:34 AM

Default Re: HDX rig/PT Studio software: will PT see the HD|IO?

HD I/O has a digi mini link connector to interface with the computer. HD I/O doesn't work as a stand alone AD/DA converter into AES or ADAT etc. You must have either an HDX card or an HD Native card to use an HD I/O.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 11-28-2022, 12:01 PM

No. Pro Tools Studio will not be able to use the HDX card and HD I/O as a core audio device. Pro Tools software is locked out from using Digilink devices if there's no HD/Ultimate license present. You can use the HDX card and HD IO as a core audio interface for any other DAW, just not Pro Tools, unless you have an HD/Ultimate license. (Digilink I/O license is no longer required for the latest PT versions, but was required for a range of versions, maybe from about 12.4 to 2021.x? but don't quote me on that).
Old 11-28-2022, 12:04 PM

The variable I will insert into the above is that I have a perpetual license. That should mean if I stop paying for the support package, though I lose the plugins that go with it, my system should work as it is until something needs an update - isn’t that the case?
Old 11-28-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodydetective View Post
The variable I will insert into the above is that I have a perpetual license. That should mean if I stop paying for the support package, though I lose the plugins that go with it, my system should work as it is until something needs an update - isn’t that the case?
I'm not sure what you're asking here. Are you suggesting that you will stop updating your Ultimate perpetual license support plan and then buy a separate subscription to Studio, while keeping your expired Ultimate perpetual license? If that is the case, then if you are running a newer version of Pro Tools and authorizing it with the Studio license then you will have the same problem since Pro Tools will be launching as Studio, not ultimate.
Old 11-28-2022, 12:53 PM

If I'm understanding what you're asking, as above you need Ultimate to use your HDX.

If you don't want to renew your Ultimate Update & Support Plan, your Perpetual Ultimate license will authorize the latest Pro Tools release before your Plan expired. You will lose any "extras" that are only available with a current Update & Support Plan.

Personally, if that's your plan going forward, I would buy a Reinstatement Code from an Avid Reseller - NOT Avid as you can't bank it if you buy from the Avid Store - and keep the Reinstatement Code until you want or need to update your Perpetual Ultimate license.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-28-2022, 01:17 PM

The goal is ultimately to have the Studio plan and sell my hardware. I'd like the hardware to continue to work as a CoreAudio device until I replace the interface, but after that I'm good with the Studio feature set, as I will be using it to open old sessions or do the things we'd all rather do in ProTools.

So what I'm trying to figure out is if I will still be able to use my HD Driver, just as it is with no further updates, if I shift my yearly license to a Studio support and update package, but without installing the licenses or software that comes with Studio - even if I lose the use of the Avid plugins until I do the full Studio install.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
The goal is ultimately to have the Studio plan and sell my hardware. I'd like the hardware to continue to work as a CoreAudio device until I replace the interface, but after that I'm good with the Studio feature set, as I will be using it to open old sessions or do the things we'd all rather do in ProTools.

So what I'm trying to figure out is if I will still be able to use my HD Driver, just as it is with no further updates, if I shift my yearly license to a Studio support and update package, but without installing the licenses or software that comes with Studio - even if I lose the use of the Avid plugins until I do the full Studio install.
No. Once you change your license, then Pro Tools will launch as Studio rather than Ultimate. There is no separate installer, the features are unlocked by the license. The minute you change the license to Studio, you will no longer be able to use your HDX card with Pro Tools.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:56 PM

Hey Scott -

That seems likely. I'm checking with support to be absolutely certain, but it sounds like you are right. Just trying to save myself the extra cost of Ultimate to be able to put off getting a new interface.

Thanks for the responses. If I get a different answer I will post it here.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:

You seem to be asking two questions confused as one.

Even if you can get a DigiLink interface to work as a CoreAudio device that would make the interface visible to other CoreAudio apps only.

Only Pro Tools Ultimate or HD can work with a Digilink interface, even if that interface is available via CoreAudio with other DAWs any non-Ultimate/non-HD version of Pro Tools will not let you use it. It has always been this way.

So if you are asking about CoreAudio... you are only asking for other DAWs. Which is what many other users including myself assumed that you were asking.

If you are asking about using the interface within Pro Tools that has nothing to do with CoreAudio, and no you can't do that with Pro Tools Studio, even if you get core audio working.

Sell this DigiLink stuff and get yourself a modern, open, CoreAudio interface. I highly recommend RME as a quality manufacturer with great engineering quality and support.