Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2002, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Analog Channel 1&2 plug-ins

I don't hear it on my po-dunk little system that well either, however, I have heard it and other McDSP products put into use at several "high-end" studios and it definately enlightened me. The main thing I learned from the experiences is how bad my own gear, and my own listening environment sucks! Either way it's not something most of us are going to identify with because we don't work on Neve and SSL all day long. You've got to hand it to Colin though, he really gets it right, I thoroughly love all of his products [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .
Old 08-06-2002, 01:27 PM

Read Charles Dye's column "Distorted Reality" in this month's DigiZine. It will shed some light on your question.
Old 08-06-2002, 01:31 PM

Great Experience with AC1 & AC2

I just began working with these plug-ins two weeks ago. I think they are some of the finest available. I have been using the AC1 with the console 3 preset on each channel. On my Master, I go with another AC1 and then ad an AC2 with the RC1 preset(with some adjustments on the rolloff, bump, and bias.)

I think the thing about this product is that it definitely flavors the sound of an individual track. I compare it to what some meek products do.

Another thing is that I really think these plugs really solve the digital sound dilema that I face when tracking to a DAW. They seem to make the sound seem more organic...again this is highly subjective...

but that's just me, i could be totally off....
Old 08-06-2002, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pmklein:
Read Charles Dye's column "Distorted Reality" in this month's DigiZine. It will shed some light on your question.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That’s a good article.

For all you geetar players...the best thing I’ve done lately is get back into using real tube amps. They’re full of rich, warm, natural harmonics that really add good glue a mix...and that know amp emulator can touch - and I’ve tried ‘em all.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nine Spine:
...have heard it and other McDSP products put into use at several "high-end" studios and it definately enlightened me.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">But as most engineers do, I make my mixes for the typical consumer market of listeners out there and how many of them are going to have "high end" studio monitors in their car?

Quote:
Originally posted by radioface:
...I just began working with these plug-ins two weeks ago. I think they are some of the finest available. I have been using the AC1 with the console 3 preset on each channel. On my Master, I go with another AC1 and then ad an AC2 with the RC1 preset(with some adjustments on the rolloff, bump, and bias.)...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks for presets! I'll give that a try. I kind of making this up myself, but I guess one argument for these Plug-ins could be the classic: "It's all of the subtleties in a mix that make it powerful" , and I guess that may be the case.

Any one else with stories about the "Placebo" plugs? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2002, 03:54 PM

I don't think they're placebo at all. My drums are all tracked direct to the 001 thru the 001 preamps, Mackie 1202, a dbx mini-pre and a VC3Q. Adding AC-1s across the tracks and cranking them into the yellow/orange gave them a sound that was closer to more traditional recordings I've made (ie. 24 track studio thru classy pre's, onto tape).

I suspect you're missing a point of reference to inform you. (Or I might have tin ears)

A.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:41 PM

i love analog channel. just crank the input!
Old 08-06-2002, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Austin:
I suspect you're missing a point of reference to inform you. (Or I might have tin ears)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">OUCH!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Suyenfung,

Thanks for the tip! I should give that a try.

One thing that I just realized is that the song that I have used to experiment with these plug-ins is a song that WAS tracked through an analog console to 2 inch, so maybe if I tried another song that was 100% digital the difference would be more noticable.

Another thing that I have pondered is the fact that some people say that the first thing they do is insert AC1 all across the 'board.' It seems to me that you could just Audiosuite the entire session and save the the CPU power....hmmmm

Anyone else? Especially with parameter or preset suggestions?
Old 08-06-2002, 05:40 PM

Hi,

AC1 : Console 2

AC2 :
http://www.digitalaudiorock.com/cgi-b in/coop/download.cgi

You can download a preset from there.
It's one of my favorite presets, use it on the Master fader.

I find AC2 good for strings.

Maybe, you should give a chance to AC more.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2002, 05:49 PM

God. What happened?

http://www.digitalaudiorock.com/cgi-...p/download.cgi