Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2001, 12:18 AM

Default can someone help me, i\'m clueless???!!!!

i'm just a songwriter, with no experience in recording and little experience w/ computers
....so please have patience and bear with me.
but i have faith and i keep telling myself that i can do this.

anyway.......
i just bought the mac G4 and Digi 001.
(reading messages from the forum led me to think that it was a good idea).
i installed it okay.
i have the roland xp-80 and the korg triton.
i would like to use the xp-80 as a controller and sound source and the triton just as a sound source.
do i need to have an amp set up to hear these boards or can it just come through my G4 speakers? (i realize that this is not ideal listening)
right now i can't hear anything.
could someone please tell me how have to wire up this madness?
should i make sure that something is clicked on, in the program for me to hear what's going on?
i have the free 001 video and everything looked soooooo easy and user friendly.
judging from this active forum, there are many surprises that await me.
so, if anyone could steer me in the right directon so i can even start to record, that would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
i'm playing with the right gear, right?
now, i just have to figure out how it all works. help! SOS!

Old 04-30-2001, 12:26 AM

Default Re: can someone help me, i\'m clueless???!!!!

do i need to have an amp set up to hear these boards or can it just come through my G4 speakers? (i realize that this is not ideal listening)

If you want real simple bu good sound you could just use a pair of head phones pluged in to the Head phone out on the front of thee oo1, you can monitor whats happening. Or go out of the phones out into a small amp (probaly not the best because of impedence issuse. but will work in a pinch)

Coolio, enjoy the ride, Pro Tools rules
Notefarm
"What games shall we play today?"

Old 04-30-2001, 12:39 AM

thanks notefarm!
still need help in the connections department.
Old 04-30-2001, 12:44 AM

Hi and welcome.

Let's go step by step:

1.- Connect the midi out from XP-80 to the midi in of the Korg Triton.

2.- Connect the midi out from Triton to midi In of Digi001.

3.- Connect the main audio outputs from Triton, to wathever inputs from Pro Tools you desire.

Up to this point i think we're ok.

To be able to listen you have to enter ProTools and create 2 new tracks: 1 Midi Track and 1 Aux Input (either mono or stereo).

The Aux Input has:

Input: The Digi001 inputs where you connected the Triton audio outputs.

Output: Choose 1-2 Analog Outputs.

Now in the midi track enable the record button, and select a channel to recieve from (same output button as in audio).

Now if all volumes and gear is correct you should be hearing something, but not from the Mac speaker, you have to connect either headphones on the front panel, or your hi-fi stereo on the monitor outputs at the back panel, or monitors... wathever.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2001, 01:09 AM

The setup posted above this one would work great. However, if you want to go a step further, the MIDI setup could be better.

Connections--MIDI out of XP-80 into the Digi card MIDI in. MIDI out of the Digi card into the MIDI THRU of the Triton. MIDI out of the Triton into MIDI in of the xp-80.

Parameter changes---Turn the local switch off for the XP-80. If the Triton does NOT have a dedicated (physical) MIDI thru port, there is a parameter to switch the MIDI out port to a MIDI thru port.

MIDI INFO---The local switch on a MIDI device SEPERATES the device into two seperate devices--the CONTROLLER, and the SOUND MODULE. MIDI data transmitted by the keys and other controllers (mod, program, Pitch, aftertouch, etc.) DO NOT GO INTO THE SOUND MODULE, they ONLY go to the MIDI out port to be recorded. A sequencer then Re-Transmits the MIDI data and is what plays the sound module. Put simply, the Local switch prevents doubling of MIDI notes during recording.

MIDI THRU--Any MIDI data accepted by the MIDI in port is retransmitted by the MIDI out port. This means that the MIDI OUT port DOES NOT TRANSMIT what the keys and other controllers produce. MIDI thru allows two or more devices to be daisy chained.

Why this Hookup??? In traditional recording, you want to monitor (listen to) what your recording medium is RECIEVING rather than what you are SENDING. For analog recording this is listening to your signal AFTER the tape machine records it. For MIDI recording it is listening to the Sequencer (PRO TOOLS) playing your devices, rather than the XP-80 playing them. The MIDI controller provides the DATA, then upon PT recording it, the data is transmitted back out and plays the devices. Always monitoring your 'TAPE RETURN' prevents the 'I heard it but it didn't record' problem, as well as the 'it sounded fine while I was recording it, but now the sound changed' problem. Hope this helps, and good luck with the 001.

[This message has been edited by IOP Drummer (edited April 30, 2001).]
Old 04-30-2001, 01:09 AM

thank you so much OgnKog!
i will try this out!
let me ask you this:

because i am taking the output from triton, does that mean only sounds from triton will be heard?
if i want to hear roland sounds do i need to take output from roland too? or will i be hearing both?
just trying to understand.
what is the rule of thumb and/or on midi track and aux input?
sorry these questions are so basic, but i need to learn somehow.
thanks for your patience.
Old 04-30-2001, 01:24 AM

many thanks as well IOP drummer!
what great midi info you gave me.
i know it must be kindergarten midi for everyone else, but like i said, i'm learning.
i have to reread it a few times for it to REALLY make sense for me, but any new knowledge helps a great deal.
thanks again.

the digi card that you're talking about is that the 001 itself?
boy, do i need help!

Old 04-30-2001, 02:39 AM

If you want to listen to XP, you need a new aux input and also you need to connect, as you say, the outputs of XP into any input of digi001.

Be carefull with Midi channels cause all channels will arrive to all machines, that is, if you are listening channel 1 from Triton and channel 2 (let's say) from XP, be sure somehow to disable channel 1 of the XP or otherwise you'll hear it too.

I don't understand your question of rule of thumb. Sorry I don't know all english slang.