Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-19-2003, 09:48 PM

Default HTDM and RTAS MIDI timing problems

Hi,
I'm having problems with MIDI timing on all of our RTAS and HTDM plugins in ProTools 6.1 and 6.2 OS 10.2.6 and 10.2.8 respectively. The first MIDI track I send to an HTDM or RTAS plugin the timing is perfect. If I record a pattern then route a new MIDI track to the same plugin the timing of what is played live into the plugin is bad. It speeds up and slows down and is generally unplayable, but what was already recorded is perfectly in time. It happens this way with MachFive, Battery, Kontakt, FM7, B4, Vokator which is every HTDM or RTAS plugin we have on 2 different machines. If I record in the MIDI it will sound "wrong" while recording but when it plays back from the track it sounds right, like I played it in.

I was told that the ProTools hardware buffer would have a lot to do with this problem but things just get stranger when I mess with the hw buffer. We usually have the buffer set to 512 so in a session where I was having this problem I decided to switch the buffer down to 128. The track being played into Battery through the keyboard was all of the sudden in time but now the track already recorded was out of time. Messing around further with the hw buffer the plugin wouldn't make any sound until after I stopped the sequence.

I'm not sure if this is a ProTools HTDM and RTAS problem or if it is a problem with all of these plugins, but I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem. Thanks.

The systems I tested this on are as follows:

dual 1.42 G4
OS 10.2.8
2 GB RAM
Digidesign HD 3 Accel
Protools 6.2
6 192s
Sync I/O
7 MOTU Express XTs

single 867 Mhz G4
OS 10.2.6
1.12 GB RAM
Digidesign Mix 24
ProTools 6.1
1622 I/O
Emagic Unitor 8

OSX
Old 11-20-2003, 04:19 AM

Default Re: HTDM and RTAS MIDI timing problems

I had this same thing come up last night. I would start out fine, but at some point something would hicup and all playthrough MIDI was WAY late (like a half a second late). After it got recorded it would playback OK, although My Kontakt instance played back late as well. A reboot fixed it, but it came back and ended up crashing the system (the grey window telling me to restart in many different languages).

Tim

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)