Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2002, 02:47 PM

Default Digital Performer issues

Okay, I've read the 1/2 million posts on here about using 001 w/ Digital Performer - now that I know that it is indeed possible, I have a few questions for anyone who's using both DP and PTle - I'm thinking about buying a 001 so I can use both the hardware and the PTle software in addition to DP.

1) From what I understand, latency can be problematic...what I want to know is, how problematic ? I plan on using DP with as many virtual instruments as I can muster - is the latency going to make me nuts ?

2) Realistically, how smoothly does the OMF importing / exporting process between DP and PTle go ? If there's anyone who does this on a fairly regular basis, can you comment on how easy, reliable, and smooth the process is ?

Thanks.

Hillary Knox
Old 10-16-2002, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Digital Performer issues

The Digi001 is a good interface that not only will work with other applications, but also allow you to get into the ProTools software. Okay now that I stated the obvious, it's not really the ideal interface to get low latencies with another program to use for softsynths. In addition to using ASIO drivers, you'll also be using VST wrappers in the MAS environment depending on what softsynths you will and will not be using. The only way you'll really completely eliminate latency on the audio front is to put a mixer in the front-end, but for softsynths...well this is obviously different. Each softsynth is different and each audio card is different. What kind of computer are you running? What soft synths are you wishing to use?

As far as OMF import and eport, remember that you must have DigiTranslator. personally, I just recommend to use time-stamped files (SD2). Who cares about copying over the sessions when time-stamped will pop right into place.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:35 PM

Well the vast majority of the softsynths that I'm planning on using right now (in a G4 733) will not need a VST wrapper - they'll run MAS native:
FM7
Pro-52(53)
Absynth
Kontakt
and eventually the new Spectrasonics stuff (especially Atmosphere when it's out)

If I get into VST-wrapper-needing softsynths, they'll probably be fairly minimal - but most likely the Steinberg PPG Wave thing, or some of the reFX stuff.

And then when I run out of CPU on the Mac, then I'll probably pick up the slack by running standalone versions (or samples) on my Gigastudio PC.

So, forgive my ignorance about the PT end of things, but the importing/exporting process requires DP to export an OMF, then using DigiTranslator to import (or make import-able) into Pro Tools ?

Thanks.

Hillary Knox
Old 10-17-2002, 01:46 AM

Going from PT to DP and back is not as difficult at you think. Instead of importing a session, import the tracks into your session. This needs no conversion since PT and DP use the same file formats. Your mix settings won't carry over...but so what. I assume you are going back and forth to mix in PT, but record in DP? You will do this a few times, but I found that my mixes sounded no better in PT and I just stayed in DP to mix. I also was using more than the PTLE track limit so DP was my only option besides bouncing. As far as latency goes with your MAS native synths, it won't be too bad, just make sure you have a fast computer and a good external HD for the audio so you can set your buffer size small. This will get you the lowest latency.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:05 AM

I curently use my 001 with DP without any problems.

As far as latency goes, it is no greater that what I get in ProTools with the 001, providing you use DirectConect as you audio driver within DP.

As far as I can see DigiTranslator is only available for TDM systems and not PTLE systems, but at $495 I don;t think I would buy it anyway.

There is however no problem with just importing audio files from a PTLE session into DP or the other way round. But why not just work with in the one app, so if you record everthing in DP then mix is DP as well. It is a very powerfull and flexiable peice of software.

Hope this helps,

Lee [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
PT LE 6.1.1
Digi 001
---
Old 10-17-2002, 07:48 AM

Thanks...that does help. I think I'm leaning toward just staying in DP...and then if I need to export OMF I can do that and let whoever else worry about any kind of Digi-translation - it wouldn't really be my responsibility anyway - I just thought it might be more convenient for me to have PTle in case the need might arise.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmee:
[QB]As far as I can see DigiTranslator is only available for TDM systems and not PTLE systems, but at $495 I don;t think I would buy it anyway.

There is however no problem with just importing audio files from a PTLE session into DP or the other way round. But why not just work with in the one app, so if you record everthing in DP then mix is DP as well. It is a very powerfull and flexiable peice of software.
QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hillary Knox