Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 05-06-2012, 03:08 PM

Default Control 24 faders jumping/not working fix!!

Hi,

My control 24 started having a problem with faders 9-16. they would start to jump up and down and become un-usable, and if i touched them they would start to jump up to the top. it usually happened when the unit got up to temperature.

I decided to have a go at fixing this:

What you need..

one philips screw driver

switch cleaner. ideally some good quality Caig...
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...w=1024&bih=607

One hot glue gun...
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...INGS0QXI_LWUBA

One soft surface, Bed or some thick foam to place the control 24 on upside down!

Place the control 24 upside down on the soft surface.

Remove all the philips headed screws. (about 16 small screws and 6 large screws) don't need to remove the screws on the feet.

once screws are removed, move the base away from the control 24.

you will now have access to the cables and connectors that connect to the 3 fader boards.

Here's a pic showing the location of the connectors and the cables...

each fader board has 2 connectors, one white and one black.

the white ribbon cable connects to the white connectors and also connects to the control board by another connector. remove the 3 connectors on the fader boards and the one coming from the control board.

the black cable connects to the black connectors on the fader boards and comes from the back of the unit. (I didn't remove the connector coming from the back? though that might be your issue so you might need to trace it back and check it is connected ok and clean it etc.

Now the connectors will be glued on so you will have to be careful and edge this glue off with a small screw driver before pulling the plugs out of the sockets. try to hold the plugs and not the cables when pulling the plugs out.

Once you have removed the plugs! you can start to use a small amount of switch cleaner to clean the metal parts of the plugs and sockets. be careful not to get switch cleaner over other components. place some tissue under the plugs and around the sockets and only spray a small amount onto the metal parts. on the sockets you can use a small tooth brush to apply the cleaner and brush it in softly.

wipe any wet cleaner away with tissue paper and push the plugs back into the sockets. by holding the plugs (not the cable) push the plugs on and off a few times to help make a good connection.

now you will have to place the unit on its side to plug it into the mains and check it is working before placing the base back on. OBVIOUSLY THERE IS LIVE POWER INSIDE THE UNIT SO DONT GO NEAR THE INSIDE! Just turn the unit on and place it into test mode and check the faders are working ok. NOW TURN OFF AND REMOVE THE MAINS CABLE.

If the faders are not working still. check the connectors are pushed on right and push them down firmly. if this does not fix the problem then it could be something else. (The next thing to do would be to check the solder on the back of the sockets on the fader boards. this will mean removing the boards and carefully checking each connection and possibly re-soldering any dry joints etc. possibly best left to an experienced electronics engineer)

Another thing to try or do is to clean all the connections on the power supply. remove all the screws on the back of the power supply and gently pull it out from the unit. it will be a good idea to label the sockets with a permanent marker so you know exactly where they all connect to!!!! clean all connections with switch cleaner and place them back on.

Hopefully the faders will be working and you can use the hot glue gun to fix the plugs to the sockets! just place a bit of hot glue on each end of the socket/plug so they can't move.

This worked for me and the faders are back to working as normal!

I accept no responsibility for anything that might happen whilst doing this! only undertake this fix if you are confident you can do basic electronic maintenance.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Control 24 faders jumping/not working fix!!

Just got to say thank you for this one - I followed your instructions to the letter, and fixed a friend's Control24 that had 2 "mad" faders and which is now on long term loan to me.

I've yet to hot-glue it all back in, but it's 3 months working now so should probably get to that soon!
Old 08-22-2021, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Control 24 faders jumping/not working fix!!

Used this as basis for My C-24.

Success!

Many thanks for this.

(few more screws onvolved tho!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210822_172514.jpg (85.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210822_174420.jpg (40.7 KB, 0 views)