Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Whats the easiest way to figure out the tempo of a song?

I really never used identify beat and Im not sure how to use it....if someone could explain that would be great.

Also how do you tap in the tempo using the conductor.....I knew this once upon a time but couldnt figure it out tonight during a session....so no click was used and timing was not the greatest on the drummers part.

Thanks for the help

Eddie
Old 06-30-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Whats the easiest way to figure out the tempo of a song?

Keyboard focus on in Edit window
Get cursor/playback head close to first, clean beat with good transient.
Hit Ctrl+i
Move forward 1 bar, use same technique to tab into the first transient of next bar.
hit Ctrl+i

Walla! You now have one bar's tempo.
Repeat, and then you can get an average.
Some equipment used for a click will vary over time, and players will vary over time, and yet others purposely set a click to vary.
If it is just drums, you can use Beat Detective most times. If it is a full mix, you are better off doing it manually, as I described (IMO).

What you *need* the tempo mapping for will determine just how fussy/picky you will need to be...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Whats the easiest way to figure out the tempo of a song?

Quote:
Whats the easiest way to figure out the tempo of a song?
If it is your Q to find out what tempo a recorded song has I would choose a program called DMM by Sienzo (it´s one of the functions that really seems to work in that program... )

[When I read your text i gather that was not what you where asking, but since other readers might wanna know just that after clicking in here...]
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix