Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2000, 05:27 PM

Default setup. Ideas please

Hi, quick question. Im looking into setting up a protools studio centered around a 24 mix system for mac. Im wondering if anyone could share thoughts on setup. I went to a high end dealer of protools who told me I have no need to use a mackie 24/8 as for a mixer and pre and told me to look into an eight channel pre like a presonus m80 or digimax. Heres where my question comes in. If the my system only allows me use of 5 plug ins how do I EQ my tracks when they exceed 5? Is a mackie a good alternative to buying thousands of dollars of pre's for eq? I guess Im trying to get an Idea on other peoples set up in there own studios. and what you may recomend for someone looking to set up a studio on a limited budget, but plans on building upon their basic setup.
Old 10-25-2000, 06:39 PM

Default Re: setup. Ideas please

Just installed my system 8mo's ago. Started fresh w/ProTools 24|MixPlus, new G4, 888/24, ADAT Bridge, 1622, 18gig DigiDrive, etc...

Had 4ch nice pre's (Amek 9098 w/eq & Manley dual mono). Had a Mackie 1604vlz to supplement extra pre's to start with. This gave me 20 mics in to start, or submix in the Mackie if needed.

I did this to start building a more pristine collection as I move on. I hate spending on something to be cast asside or sold later, so I make sure I buy nice gear. I don't think the little Mackie will ever be useless, and I didn't have to spend a lot on it. I beleive the new vlz pro's are even nicer pre's.

One thing I noticed after a few months was the need for outboard gear. Especially EQ's (in a pre is nice) and compressors for tracking (and even mixdown). A good reverb seems VERY necessary also.

Hope this helps.