Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2003, 10:01 AM

Default Re: OT: Anybody recommend any good movies/DVDs?

Hey Everyone!

An incredible movie on the alternative/cult tip is called "Deadman" starring Johnny Depp. I know that people seem to be split down the middle with their like or dislike of him and his acting but this is a great film. All Black and White set in the West during the late 1800's. The best part is the incredibly unique soundtrack written and performed by Neil Young! Check it out. It's a must see!

Andrew

Macbook Pro Retina / 2.8GHZ / 512GB SSD / PT 2023.9
Old 11-15-2003, 10:12 AM

Can't help but list a few of my favourites here, old and tried, but I like them :

"The Shawshank Redemption" - perhaps my all time favourite
"Twelve Monkeys" by Terry Gilliam
"Snatch" by Guy Ritchie - witness Brad Pitt in playing an Irish Gipsy who sells caravans...excellent, dark, funny movie.
"The Big Lebowski" - 'nuff said..."shut the f**k up, Danny !"

and the last two I saw :
"Panic Room" - but then, I am a Jodie Foster fan...beautiful photography in this one, and stressfull to say the least.
"Bowling for Columbine" by Michael Moore - the real "Scary movie"

Cheers,
Old 11-15-2003, 03:52 PM

Pirates of the Carribean will be out in two weeks! I went with my girlfriend to see this expecting the queerest movie on the planet and I saw one of the most enetertaining movies I've seen in a while. Johnny Depp just makes this movie. I haven't seen a part he couldn't play. And now he's in the running to play Ozzy in the that movie! Outstanding! Also, check out Fear and Loatheing in Las Vegas and Blow. TOP NOTCH!
Old 11-15-2003, 04:02 PM

Trainspotting, Raising Arizona, Fargo, Taxi Driver, Angel Heart, Monster's Ball, Boogie Nights, Ronin, Usual Suspects, Reservoir Dogs, Buena Vista Social Club, ....

Just some of the DVD's I own (besides those already mentioned) which I'd recommend.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-15-2003, 04:39 PM

Older Flicks..... “Victor/Victoria”, a Blake Edwards joint with Julie Andrews, James Garner & Alex Karris… very funny. “Hollywood Nights” (Knights?), bunch of unknowns, R-Rated American Graffiti, hilarious. “Arsenic & Old Lace “ with Cary Grant, Peter Lori & Raymond Massey, a classic. “Picnic” with William Holden, there’s some beautiful late ‘50s orchestral music in this flick, stuff that made a melodic impression on me as a very young child.
Of the newer flicks I thought 28 Days later was cool, but with the thick British/Cockney accents I has to turn the subtitles on. “What Dreams may Come” is a weird Robin Williams movie, very dark, deals with suicide.
I have over 1000 movies between me and my parents (we bought a VCR when they first came out), I could go on for days.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 11-15-2003, 06:49 PM

Well, I'm about to fire up 'Snatch'... I've been wanting to see it since it came out...

p.s. James/Sugarnutz...I didn't realize you're in Lake Cormorant, Ms. I used to fish at a friend's place there on Hwy.301 every chance I got. Her place is near where it does that big L-curve....great fishing honeyhole. My 'friend's' name is Jenny Wilson/Brown, but I haven't been to see her in 2 or 3 years. I don't suppose you know her do you?
thanks, Roy
Old 11-15-2003, 10:27 PM

Roy The Sopranos all 4 seasons are awesome.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Two words - Pulp Fiction

Sparky
Say what again!!!!
Old 11-16-2003, 07:36 AM

i thought "master and commander" was pretty good. the new matrix was a let down. i rented "25th hour" friday and was very surprised. id recommend it. "sympathy for the devil" is a waste of time unless your a really big stones fan. i got it to see them in the studio, but even that was disappointing.

s.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:47 AM

I can't believe I haven't seen spinal tap on the list yet, isn't it required viewing to be a musician or work in music. Other than that I love Kevin Smith movies (clerks, mallrats, chasing amy, dogma, jay and silent bob strike back), High Fidelity, the new matrix was a major let down, the lord of the rings movies are great and I read a really long article about the soundtrack including how they did the work in protools. Super Troopers is good to, that's all I can think of right now. More later if I remember.