Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2008, 08:16 AM

Smile Brand new to Mac, ideas for setup upgrade?

Wow! I haven't been here in a long time. I just got a brand new, free black Macbook. I believe it is the mid 2007 model. 2.16ghz dual 2 core with 2 megs of RAM. It's a really amazing and beautiful little computer.

Anyhow, I would really love some advice on a new setup for this laptop. I'm currently still on the old Digi 001 ( I know it's a dinosaur) running PT 6.4 via an 8 channel converter through adat/lightpipe.

Now, I only need 8 channels max ,but I do need it via lightpipe. My RME converter doesn't have to many options to interface, so adat is key. Are there any setups you guys are running with your Macbook that are extremely stable with an adat setup?

I'm assuming I will interface my MB with PT via firewire? What about an external HD for audio? Will I need it? My MB has 160GB 5400 rpm, but I have always had 2 HD. How are you interfacing your external HD? If I run PT via firewire, I guess I would have to use the USB port for a HD?

I'm also running Reason via Rewire and I can go either midi or USB, so I thought you might need to know that. I do not need pre's, as I have a lunchbox loaded with pre's that would make a grown man cry! ha.

I know about the digi 002,003, and some of the M-audio stuff (they all have adat), but I'm a bit sketched out about M-Powered software. Anyone running the M-Audio interface with M-Powered successfully?

Honestly, I never upgraded because my 001 has been so stable on my PC, that I never felt the need. I spent wads of cash on pres and mics in the past few years.

So, now that I have the MB, it is time to step it up. Let me know guys and sorry for the rambling. You rock!