Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-09-2002, 10:32 AM

Default Outside Beta Testing

Does anyone know if Digidesign has a program set up where they let outside users of Pro Tools beta test the new software upgrades? If there is such a beast, does anyone know where I can find some information on the program. I believe that this would speed up the release dates of software upgrades. The more people you have testing the software the more issues and feature considerations you can address. It seems to be working for Apple. I am just wondering if Digi has considered or have implemented this type of program.

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

[email protected]
Old 10-11-2002, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Outside Beta Testing

Anyone????????????
Old 10-11-2002, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Outside Beta Testing

My understanding is that it’s a bit of an "Old Boys Network." Sort of the case of who you know, as in "I could get you in as a beta tester."

Having said that, and having done beta testing (not for Digidesign,) let me say that it's not just a question of trying out a new piece of equipment. It is very essential that the tester follow a routine that allows them to faithfully reproduce bugs so that the developers can hone into the particular code (amongst thousands of lines) that is causing the problem. It's not just a question of saying my computer crashed. You have to be meticulously aware of how you got to that point. As to routines, the people in charge of beta testing mostly provide those, but sometimes the tester has to devise their own. It can also be frustrating and boring. So patience and low blood pressure are essential.

Hope this helps.

Yorik