Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-21-2009, 02:10 AM

Default PT8 Waveform Flicker

Am I the only person having this problem?

In PT8 sometimes when I'm scrolling around a session or zooming in and out the waveforms flicker on and off, as though it's refreshing them for no reason. It's an intermittent problem which I haven't yet been able to reproduce with any consistency, but it has at times been causing me major headaches whilst trying to edit. It sometimes happens with all the waveforms at once, but also sometimes happens on individual regions.

I'm open to any suggestions. Could it be a video card issue?

PT HD 8.0, Mac OSX 10.5.5, 1xCore card, 1xAccel, MacPro 2x2.66 Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 5GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
Old 01-21-2009, 03:29 AM

Default Re: PT8 Waveform Flicker

Yes I've seen waveforms randomly disappear when scrolling/zooming. They usually come back after a short while but I don't know why.
PT2023.12 - Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB RAM - macOS 13.6.3 - UAD-2 Satellite Octo/Apollo 8tb Duo/Apollo 16ii/Prism Lyra 2 - Euphonix Artist Control - All the plugins(!) Waves/PA/Slate/SSL/McDSP/UAD/Kush/SoundToys/Eventide/Softube/NI/PSP/Sonible/BABY/Fabfilter/Sonnox etc.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:00 PM

Yes, same here.

macbook pro late 2008, with faster videosettings
Old 01-21-2009, 12:28 PM

Here too. I'm gonna try and see if changing my scrolling options to none helps. Digi is this something we should expect? I'm running a Dual 2.7 with a GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL graphics card.
Luker[at]acaciarecording[dot]com
Studio 301-703-0035
Old 01-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Avid

Yes, in order to maximize scrolling speed and UI responsiveness, minimize memory usage, and maximize playback performance, PT 8 sometimes dynamically loads audio waveforms in the background as you expose new parts of the audio at certain zoom levels. Normally this happens transparently to the user, but occasionally it becomes visible at zoomed-in zoom levels when scrolling or zooming. When this happens, you may occasionally see a blank waveform in the region for a brief moment while the waveform data is loaded.

Paul Vercellotti
Avid Engineering
Old 01-21-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulV View Post
Yes, in order to maximize scrolling speed and UI responsiveness, minimize memory usage, and maximize playback performance, PT 8 sometimes dynamically loads audio waveforms in the background as you expose new parts of the audio at certain zoom levels. Normally this happens transparently to the user, but occasionally it becomes visible at zoomed-in zoom levels when scrolling or zooming. When this happens, you may occasionally see a blank waveform in the region for a brief moment while the waveform data is loaded.
Is there a solution to this because all was fine in the 7.x era in which there were no headache inducing flickers?

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-22-2009, 02:05 AM

Well, at least I'm not going completely crazy. Or blind.

I never saw this in 7.4, I can only assume this change in behaviour is due to the new 16-bit waveforms, which presumably take up more memory? So can you confirm PT7 didn't dynamically load waveforms?

I appreciate your response PaulV, but seriously for me this is not happening "occasionally" or "transparently" it's happening all the time, especially (but not exclusively) on EA enabled tracks.

I agree with Shan, at the moment I would prefer to be editing in 7.4, shame I can't install both versions on the same system. Might I suggest for a future release, an option to turn dynamic waveform-loading off? This way I can disable the feature in exchange for a performance hit whilst I am editing, then turn it back on when mixing?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:49 AM

Count me in

I have also a white flash when grabbing a volume curve.
Then there is a short white flash on the whole track.
This behavior is an every track.

Ale
Old 01-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Avid

> I have also a white flash when grabbing a volume curve.

To clarify, this white flash you mention is a different known issue, having to do with OS X's UI. We're working on that one.

As regards the waveform loading delay, I appreciate the feedback; we'll take all of this into consideration and see if we can improve it.

Paul Vercellotti
Avid Engineering
Old 01-22-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulV View Post

As regards the waveform loading delay, I appreciate the feedback; we'll take all of this into consideration and see if we can improve it.
Thanks for the reply and heads up. In my opinion, the performance of the new UI should be the same or better than previous versions of Pro Tools. Paying for downgrades in performance is not advancement and makes me grumpy. I vote for advancement in PT upgrades over paying for downgrades in performance. Performance and functionality should be top priority over the "pretty" UI stuff first in my opinion. PT 8 has greatly slowed down my day to day studio production because of the poor performance in the UI unfortunately. Though I do like a good chunk of the new UI(needs a few tweaks though), I'd rather not have the pretty eye candy stuff until performance and functionality is on par or better than previous releases.

Thanks and keep us posted.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit