Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2006, 06:44 PM

Default Do I have a Core Audio problem here?

I recently upgraded to Mac 10.3.9....I'm running PTLE 6.4....Core Audio 6.4no problems there...so far
BUT.......for some reason I can no longer get iTunes (version 7...the most recent) to even open if I have my 002 rack turned on...if I turn the rack off iTunes opens just fine......
Does anyone have any idea of why this might be happening? If so, please enlighten me on what I need to do to correct the problem!!
It seems like everytime I upgrade any Mac software it [bleep] something up somewhere.....but I do it anyway
definitely the definition of insanity.
Fortunately it doesn't appear to have affected my PT software......
Thanks for any help anyone can offer

-Scott

Mac OS 10.9
PT 11.1.1
Eleven Rack
Old 09-18-2006, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Do I have a Core Audio problem here?

I also get this issue, I thought that you could only use the Core Audio with the other apps when PT was not running.

So, I'm with you on this one... if anyone can help out, that would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Tony J.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:16 PM

You are in uncharted waters my friend.

I run CAD 6.9 with 10.3.9 without problems, but I have avoided updating iTunes beyond 4.7.1.

Have you updated to QuickTime 7? If so that would be interesting since so far nobody here has reported success with that combination. I'm still at 6.5.2. Haven't had time to screw around with newer versions of QT.

I never update any software without cloning/backing up my system, and checking user reports first.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:47 PM

when i had PTLE 6.2.3 and AMIII, i ran with core audio 6.9 and OS X 10.3.9
without incidents... but

I never upgraded to QT 7.x!
i was able to run iTunes 6.x with no problems.
I would suspect eh QT version you are running.. and i would then also install
core audio driver 6.9... it had some bug fixes with Garageband and it may also fix
your current iTunes issue.

best of luck
EBC
Old 09-19-2006, 02:25 AM

I updated my friends PC last night and iTunes 7 wouldnt work without Quicktime 7.1.3, assuming the Mac is the same and you are running Pro Tools on OSX 10.3.9 i would be surprised if Pro Tools would function correctly. If it does i think you've just made history because as per the previous post going above QT 6.5.2 normally kills Pro Tools on OSX 10.3.9.

Cheers
Old 09-19-2006, 07:23 AM

Thanks everybody for your comments & suggestions!
I'm curious to know what Pro Tools shouldn't be able to do in my situation. So far I've been able to open and play all of my PT sessions....should I expect issues while actually recording new sessions?
Also, what would anyone suggest I do at this point in order to get everything working properly?
Is an upgrade to Tiger unavoidable? Of course then I'd have to upgrade to PT7 which isn't so bad other than the expense of doing so.
I'm assuming since the OS, QT, & iTunes upgrades have already happened on my system that there would be no way of reverting back. Right? I still have an earlier version of iTunes but when I tried to open it it told me my iTunes music library had already been updated to the new version.......ooops!
Looking forward to hearing more comments!
Thanks again,
-Scott

Mac OS 10.9
PT 11.1.1
Eleven Rack
Old 09-19-2006, 08:17 AM

The coreaudio can only be used by one app at a time. Since you have the MAC using the digi hardware as it's audio output you will have to deal with not being able to open iTunes etc..while PT is open and vice versa. If you set the MAC to use the internal audio and then patch the analog line output of the MAC into the ALT Source inputs you can use the ALT-Source to Monitors switch on the 002R to listen to iTunes through your monitors. You could at least have PT and any other apps open at the same time. Also you can route the Alt-Source to 7&8 to listen to or record other apps through PT. This is how I get around the issue.

randy
Old 09-19-2006, 08:20 AM
Avid

You can try reverting back to Quicktime 6.5.2 - there is an installer available on the Apple website. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work properly for everyone.

The problem is that QT7 is installed with OS 10.3.9 and it's incompatible with Core Audio versions before 7.0. iTunes uses Quicktime for playback, which is why you're seeing the problems.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:25 AM

but if I upgrade to PT7 and Mac Tiger should I expect that everything will work OK then?

Mac OS 10.9
PT 11.1.1
Eleven Rack
Old 09-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Avid

That would be a fair assumption.