Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2008, 09:05 AM

Default Pro Tools and EZDrummer Help Please !

Hi ... I'm running Pro Tools LE 7.1.1 on a Intel Mac (2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo) with 2 Gigs of RAM. I'm using the latest version of EZ Drummer and I have the following expansions installed:

Vintage Rock
Rock/Pop
Nashville
Latin Percussion
Cocktail

So I'm having all kinds of MIDI issues. I'm quite familiar with Pro Tools when it comes to audio but MIDI is not one of my strong points. I have sequencers in the past and have decent knowledge of MIDI operations but what I'm dealing with makes no sense.

Here are some problems:

I put EZdrummer on a stereo instrument track and set the input to "No Input" ... so far so good. Now I'll set up some different patterns for verse - pre chorus- chorus .... that's fine ... now I'll go to put a fill between verse and pre-chorus .. let's say a 2 beat fill and as soon as I pull that in the drum parts in the pre chorus go nuts .... the measure after the fill disappears ??? Shouldn't it simply drop in filling the 2 beats before the next section ? I do have MIDI merge selected (don't know if it makes any difference ... dosen't seem to ) ... so then I undo and try again and sometimes it drops right in but then sections well after stop working !!!

I've also tried to put a crash at the beginning of a new section by moving a ride ... as soon as I move that note anywhere the rest of the MIDI data in the measure disappears !!!

Just MIDI HELL !!!! So far they should call this EZHeadache .... but I have a feeling the problem is with Pro Tools not EZDrummer .... in any case any thoughts would be greatly appreciated !!!!

-Gtrplyr
Old 04-05-2008, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools and EZDrummer Help Please !

gtrplyr,

You might have better luck posting this in either the Virtual Instrument or MIDI Forums, or both. Lots of good info there.

Good luck.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:59 PM

It's not a protools issue, but an EZ drummer one. The fill you are dropping in has a silent section. I don't know why they chose to do this but the easy solution is to create another midi track and drag your fill to this track. Use grid mode to select the fill, omitting the silent section, copy and paste into you drum track.

regards
EyreSpace
Old 04-07-2008, 12:48 PM

Hi , i can help on this one because i have contacted toontrack tech support about it. If you switch your midi over to region view it's a little more clear.

Even if you drag and drop a 2 bar fill, EZ drummer always drops in 4 bars, so thats two bars of useless silence. This happens in logic as well not just Pro Tools. Tech support told me the best workflow was to create an empty midi track to use for editing and then transfer the correct midi to the required location. Kind of annoying but it really isn't a biggie when you get used to it.

Cheers