Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2013, 02:55 AM

Default Alt/Opt+Drag plug-in to a new track enables all Automation Parameters

Try this:
-Set PT to "plugin controls default to auto-enabled"
-Insert a plugin and remove a few parameters that you don't want to be automated.
-Alt-drag the plugin to another track
-Note that PT has re-activated ALL parameters

IMO PT should keep the settings and ignore the prefs setting when I copy a plugin-instance.

Personally I consider this a bug because I don#t want to dive into the prefs every time I want to copy a plugin-instance. I usually have the prefs set to on.

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ug/106097-3779
Old 03-08-2013, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Bug:

sorry, forgot to enter the subject line before sending. Admins, feel free to adjust it as I am not allowed to edit it.

Frank.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Bug:

Actually, this issue drives me up the wall, because most of the time when I'm going to copy a plug-in over its after I've made a new track.

For example, if I run out of space in a particular group that I've made, I will add a new track and then copy a few or all of the plug-ins over. And then, exactly like Frank said, I have to dive in to all of those new plug-ins and deactivate the automation parameters. Its a real pain when all I want to do is add a quick sound effect or something to group.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Alt/Opt+Drag plug-in to a new track enables all Automation Parameters

Why are you deactivating parameters? Curious as my workflow has me never doing this. Is it just for the visual aspect of the pulldown menu being cleaner?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Alt/Opt+Drag plug-in to a new track enables all Automation Parameters

I never automate the master bypass because I want to be able to bypass it for quick comparisons without writing automation.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:25 AM

Same here: Master Bypass and with MDW there are a couple of completely irrelevant automation features as "graph scale" and "Band 1...5 Solo".
Old 03-09-2013, 07:56 AM

Ahh, makes sense.

I guess having the D Command in front of me, I just toggle in and out of Auto Modes and use Preview a lot. Good idea though if you're not using a control surface.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:44 AM

Default Alt/Opt+Drag plug-in to a new track enables all Automation Parameters

Even then. It would be great to have some customizable plugin auto preferences. Master Bypass isolate being a prime candidate...

Darryl Ramm
Old 03-09-2013, 04:38 PM

I use it for master bypass sometimes, but I also use to clean stuff up a lot of the time. Like in Channel strip there is two steps to get the dynamics to work, so I just turn off automation for the EQ and DYN buttons (and set them to be always on). Then I only use the bypass for each respective module to turn it on and off.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
Ahh, makes sense.

I guess having the D Command in front of me, I just toggle in and out of Auto Modes and use Preview a lot. Good idea though if you're not using a control surface.
I have controllers as well but I don't want to hit an additional button only to quickly bypass an not write the automation. This is the reason why I'm not automating all parameters.

The only work-around I've found is to entirely disable the master-bypass lane.

Ultimately I still think the original posting is a bug. The function copies the plugin. And in my world a copy should be identical to it's original and not something else.

Frank.