Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-18-2009, 07:52 AM

Default Help with quote for music mix

Hi everyone

It is possible that this isn't the correct forum for this thread, but I am hoping that there are individuals on this board who work across post AND (pop/rock/alternative) music.

Basically I have been approached by a band to mix their latest album ITB. Their singer saw a film I had mixed, and loved some of the more 'sound design' moments in it. They are trying to get away from the more 'typical' sound of their previous disc, and think that me as a post mixer can bring something different to the table.

Although I have done small amounts of music in the past, my real experience and daily work is in post.

Here is my problem - how much time and money would be a reasonable quote? I was thinking 1 day per song would be enough, but what do I charge as a daily rate?

I imagine that the rate for music mixers is (generally) lower than post?

I am in Europe, but am just as interested in what you US guys think.

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Help with quote for music mix

a day a song is a good average, depends on how much work it needs to be mixable
top music mixers (the guys the AR weasels name drop when singing a band) can be $2000+ a day

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

I'd do my quote on per song basis.
You'll never be done with the track even after you think you mixed it.
Somehow, doing a per song deal makes you feel like being more creative rather than thinking about the hours you spent on it.

So the quote would include couple of revisions and anything else could be extra.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 11-19-2009, 09:32 AM

I have done lots of music mixing and producing beyond my own music. Bands as a general rule in the Indy world do not have much money. I think a day a song is a reasonable pace, but factors to consider are : how experienced you are, is your setup streamlined, bands expectations, and what shape the tracks are in. If you get into editing, pitch correction, and "design" enhancements, 1 a day may be undoable. It also may be undoable if you are not in the habit of mixing rock or pop.

A per song rate would be the way to go. Certainly this will end up as less per hour than most Post gigs. Even at $500 per song (which I think is a somewhat reasonable Indy rate for a small town operator), you are looking at $50 per hour for a 1 day thing. Factor in the above and you would be earning less. From the band's perspective, $500 per song is a lot as a 10 song release is $5000 USD. That is a lot to a small band.

So this is not an answer, but hopefully something that gets you thinking about what you are getting into.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 11-20-2009, 01:48 AM

Thanks everyone for your answers. Looks like charging per song is the way to go.

The truth is I don't have heavy music mixing experience (the band are aware of this, which is partly why they want to try me out - new approach, open to ideas, etc.).

I think if I do this, it will be for my own 'creative fulfillment' rather than a big money-earner!

Wish me luck!
Old 11-20-2009, 06:14 AM

Find out what shape the tracks are in. If the comping is not finished, or if they need a lot of editing, timing improvements, pitch correction, etc., that can be very time-consuming.

Minister's recommendations are good.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:15 AM

I agree with the 'per song' way.. I do this; If having to go in edit, pitch vocals,instruments, replace sounds, I let that be known on the top that its more per song for that... Also, & I'm sure this probably doesn't even bother u much since your a post guy, but usually most/some factor in the track count as well... Them being a opo/rock band, it may not be extreme but I'm just throwing that out there...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)